S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I’m back around s10s. I say this as I was a member of this forum circa 2007 or so as lbcblazer88. I was a kid then and had myself a great rusty little s10 blazer with the 2.8 powerhouse.

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

so let’s fast forward about 14 years or so and we come full circle back to the s series platform. This time is different of course. I had a 1998 s10 ZQ8 pretty much fall in my lap. Friend of a friend had it and sent the rods in the 4.3 on vacation and didn’t want to send it to scrap. Told me it could be mine for $200 and I didn’t hesitate. So with a couple bucks I was back in the s10 game. But now what am I to do with my new found trophy?
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Car Tire

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle

Of course first order of business was clean it up…..
Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Car

So about now most would realize I’m not putting a 4.3 back in the truck. I’ve decided to build a “street” no prep style race truck. Of course LS powered. Gonna chuck a turbo at it and let it roll. Hoping for around 650-700ish hp starting out which may be a little wishy. Hopefully the build thread will keep me motivated and informed. Here are some pics up to today. Just working on tearing it down.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Gear Rim
Plant Vehicle Car Automotive tire Hood
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

As you can tell I don’t have much of a garage still to work on my junk but I don’t mind doing it kind of old school. Excited to get this thing going. Critics welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Congratulations on being back in the game. Nice beginning with a good foundation, build a new 4.3 or get one from a wrecked driver. As far as the power # you are looking for I think is a little on the high side. Look forward to updates on your project👍

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks gen2, and negative… this truck will never have another 6 cylinder in it.

·
Registered
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS extended cab 4.3L auto 4x4
168 Posts
Well, my pappi always told me to go big or go home. So, I'd offer this suggestion for a new powerplant - it will likely only require a "few" modifications to the truck to make it a true beast.

Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Black Motor vehicle

It's a Napier Typhoon, and I've got a few of them laying around in the basement taking up needed space, so I'm happy to offer a great deal on one! 😁🤓😁 I was planning to put one in the Sonoma, but changed plans and decided to keep it stock. Unfortunately, it will have to go ground motor freight as UPS overnight won't take it.

It's a 24 Cylinders, Horizontally opposed, Supercharged, Water cooled Power rating: 1,641 kW (2,200 hp) at 3,700 rpm Displacement: 36.7 L (2,240 cu in.) Bore and Stroke: 127 mm (5.00 in.) x 121 mm (4.75 in.) Weight: 1,071 kg (2,360 lb) geared drive; supercharged; sleeve valves.

Disclaimer: The MPG may vary significantly from the current range, and it may not meet EPA emissions standards.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Thanks gen2, and negative… this truck will never have another 6 cylinder in it.
My mistake, I reread your post about NOT having another v6 .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aitch, lmao wow.
And no worries Gen. just going to be another LS turbo deal.
Not much done today still stripping stuff off and out of the truck. Parts on back order as the country is still as nuts as it was yesterday. Gonna take forever to get this thing built.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

terrible picture but started pulling the interior. Besides smelling like Stuart little’s cousins and Marlboros it had a decent interior. Some plastic came out in pieces. Still have to strip out rest of interior and fuel system. Going to gather parts over the next few weeks as best I can so slow going for a bit.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Flave,
Looks like you've got a good head start on the project - and having the all important Sawzall handy is bound to make things easier! And I guess you will be destined to an LS build, as all of the Napiers I had laying about got snapped up right away! 😳 It appears that you've got a decent/ solid base to start with, so that's a good thing as well. I do have a question though - I know what Marlboros smell like, but not Stuart's little cousins - can you elaborate? Inquring minds & noses want to know! Are you going to keep the rear roll pan, or go back to the stock rear bumper? Keep us posted on your progress, and any "problems" you encounter. Here's hoping the weather doesn't severly impact the work schedule (been there. done that).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stuart little’s little rat buddies rented the truck as a vacation home while it sat in my buddies yard. So a good combo of molded Budweiser, Marlboro or maybe L&M lights, saw mill sweat, and mouse piss. Might try to get it bottled for a new scent for that Ralph Lauren feller. The sawzall has definitely gotten the dust knocked off it just for some exhaust clearance from the old 4.3 exhaust when it was being extracted. We are also currently doing some house hunting so hopefully one of these days I’ll have a garage or shop. Mean time I may move it to a friends house for the winter. Doesn’t get too awful here in southern Virginia anyways. As for the roll pan it’s a little jacked up but I like the look of it. May fix it ( I chuckled when I typed that) or may buy a new one.(also probably kidding myself)
Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

might just leave it on until it gets drug off it or something. Also yesterday worked with CAD (cardboard assisted design) for a template for the ac block off plate.
Automotive tire Tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread

Interior is a disaster area
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car Hood

just need to keep tearing it down for now and see where it goes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Oh Yeah - I'd work on bottling that scent - you could market it as an "Aroma Therapy" accessory for trucks - get it on Amazon & Ebay, make a fortune, and retire!. Your CAD - lov it! A whole lot cheaper than the AutoCAD software license that I use. Plus, it's right there at the truck for immediate trial/ fit/ application! Where in VA are you - I'm in Roanoke, so we might be 'neighbors'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m just a few hours from ya in Lunenburg county. Work in Roanoke some (railroad). Lynchburg as well.

·
Been there Done it
12,197 Posts
When you replace the cardboard with metal won't you lose heat as well. Seems the A/C deleted trucks had a small air box there for the fan and fresh air intake. @Harley might be able to round up one of those for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea deer slayer it will have no a/c or heat. Blocked off the heater core as well. It’ll be hot in the summer and cold in the winter but luckily it’ll never be a daily driver so comfort isn’t of too much concern.

·
Been there Done it
12,197 Posts
A LQ4 out of a 3/4 ton van or 2500HD would be great with a turbo. The heads flow real good and with the dished pistons you're at 9.4 or so compression ratio. IIRC 04 up also have the floating Gen4 rods. Ideal setup to be boosted.
Only negative is the iron block. It's only 60# heavier and for a boosted engine the additional strength over aluminum is a good thing. Not to mention aluminum 6.0's are pricey. You real don't want to boost an LS2 since the CR is 10.9 -1. So you'd have the expense of a high priced engine and the have to change pistons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts