S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am suprised that I couldn't find anything on this issue when I searched the forums. I have a 98 GMC Jimmy, and I get a lot of rear rattling noises when driving down the road. I tried driving with the rear window OPEN, which resulted in hardly any noise coming from the rear. Therefore, I am assuming it has something to do with the rear window. Anyone know how to fix this? The bolts holding the glass and the bolts holding the hinges are tight. What can I do? It's annoying and loud!

·
Registered
497 Posts
the rattle from my jimmy is almost exclusively from that stupid cover in the cargo area that hides the jack and tools... is the window down covering up the noise? or does it actually go away?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
p07r0457 said:
the rattle from my jimmy is almost exclusively from that stupid cover in the cargo area that hides the jack and tools... is the window down covering up the noise? or does it actually go away?
The noise (mostly) goes away when I have the window OPEN. When it is closed, it makes a bunch of noise from the rear. I experimented with what you said and took off the cover that hides the jack and tools. It rattled A LOT less. What do you do to get rid of this noise, or do you just live with it as I have? It's annoying when transporting people how they always bring it up "what's in your back that's rattling so much?". Damn GM.

·
Banned
2,474 Posts
Wrap the latch of the Glass in Electrical tape. It will tighten the connection which will eliminate the ratte.

·
Registered
497 Posts
My back hatch glass is silent. It's never made a peep (knock on wood).

As for the rear tool cover, if you remove it, you will see some rubber bushings on the cover, along with plastic nuts. Tighten the nuts so the bushings buldge slightly. Then reattach the cover. It will still rattle, but will rattle less.

So far I have just lived with the rattle. I turn the stereo up and it will drown out the rattles. However, I do want to eliminate them. I was thinking about using fiberglass to turn the compartment into the back of a sub-box. Then there would be no more rattles. I haven't taken the steps to actually do it, but I might.

·
Gas drinker
132 Posts
By any chance is battery low at all??? on my 98 if i crank it with low battery it automatically pops back window and i don't know until i hit about 50 or more and it is very annoying

·
Molon Labe
5,297 Posts
mattryanmusic said:
here's an idea,
have someone else drive the truck when your in the back, listen and look to see what's making the noise. then see what you can do to fix it.....
just my .02
That's exactly what I did and realized it was just the latch for the rear hatch. I put some thick grease in the latch and it hasn't bothered me since. I do have to be careful not to touch the U hook on the glass, but i'd rather do that than listen to that ****ING rattle the whole time. I feel your anger.

·
Usted huele como un asno
1,197 Posts
BudRacing said:
That's exactly what I did and realized it was just the latch for the rear hatch. I put some thick grease in the latch and it hasn't bothered me since. I do have to be careful not to touch the U hook on the glass, but i'd rather do that than listen to that ****ING rattle the whole time. I feel your anger.
When my tailgate started rattling, I glued some foam between tailgate and the bed. I figured out the original plastic pads dissapeared somehow. I suspect someone ripped them off because I rarely open my tailgate. Maby you could try something like that so you don't have to worry about tracking in grease, but i think it might keep the glass from sealing up. I don't know for sure because i don't have a blazer, but i don't think I'll make a gap big enough to leak.

·
Crazed Fool
3 Posts
My '97 did that (rattled the back window) all Winter. Turned out that the rubberized latch plate ("attached" to the glass) had separated from the rear window a bit.
So every time I'd drive down the road, the rear window made that annoying rattle.
Just took some silicone adhesive and squirted it in between the latch plate and the glass, taped it down for 24 hours (so it would stay together while curing) and now my truck rides as quiet as the day it rolled of the assembly line.

*One thing I did that may, or may not, be safe to do in your area was to leave the rear window unlocked and not closed all the way so that the latch plate and glass wouldn't pull apart. Non Blazer owner's will not be able to tell that the window is unlocked (it looks closed & locked) but if some thieving jacka$$ pulls on your window handle it will be obvious that your truck is ripe for the pickin'.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts