S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Wonky One
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 2000 2.2 S10 5spd. For a long time now the gas guage has acted funny but recently its just gone on the fritz hardcore. It will have short spells of reading incorrectly (full or empty, nothing else) but they usually go away after a gas tank or two. Ive gone through twice that many full tanks now and its still reading incorrectly. Its hard to tell when im actually empty and its caught me off guard a few times now. Im where i think i MIGHT be low on gas and then guage will read from its incorrect FULL and fall to completely empty and the low fuel light will turn on. When i fill up, i find out i still had a few gallons left (my normal fill is 14 gallons, when it reads incorrectly and falls to empty its usually at 11 or 12 gallons that i fill up). I read somewhere that the sender or fuel level float or something like that has to be replaced with a different type...something about its little metal brushes or something weird like that...im not sure. I need to figure this out because its driving me nuts. I know the pre-98 2nd gen s10s had a fuel level buffer behind the glove compartment somewhere that would fix this. However thats not an option here. What do i need to do? Im hoping this isnt a pricey fix because i have no money lol.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
loose connection in wiring, or worn out sender unit put in another one
this is very common issue

you and thousands of others have this same issue

sender units dont last forever, they do wear out the contacts are copper brass and wear easily

·
The Wonky One
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well now its just stuck on full nomatter what. Dunno whats going on now but its annoying. When i turn the truck off the needle falls to the E though, but that doesnt help me. I guess ill have to look into replacing the sender unit. The stories of others replacing them with no positive results worries me though.

·
Better post-em.
11,303 Posts

·
The Wonky One
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well i generally get around 270-280 to the tank, so i start to get worried around 260. My s10 doesnt get the greatest mileage for some reason (20mph city). Its close to what its supposdly rated though so whatever.

Mr.Z...i bookmarked that. It seems enticing.

·
s-10 newbie
237 Posts
lol i bought it and had my mechanic swap it out and worked. to tell you the truth i thought it was going to be a non working pump and when i told my mechanic i paid that much for it he said it probably wouldnt work or it was the wrong pump but i told him do it anyways when they swapped it and it fired right up he told me to order 5 of them for him and he would give me 80 dollars for each but he was going to turn around and charge 200 each plus labor to put them in. at autozone i think they cost like 265 i belive and my mechanic said he paid that much for one for his s-10. :) saved me a 200 hundred dollars so im happy :-D
hey i just noticed your from riverside i have family out there. well not riverside but perris which is up in the hills. ive visited once. its nice out there. you guys have that military airfield with the museum.

·
The Wonky One
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep, March Air Reserve Base. They have some snazzy stuff there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.