S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
cokehead
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, this is about 6-7 months in the making. dont know if anyone remembers or not, but i was backed into in january while getting lunch. drove past some guy and he backs into me while im still movin forward. yet, insurance still thinks it my fault (somehow). so, heres what im workin with. 2000 xtreme x-cab, 2/3 on 20's, billet stuff, molded rollpan, shaved gate, squirters, and doors, goodmark hood.

heres a before to see what it looked like last winter:

and then this happened:

rolled like that for some time. then found a deal on a whole bed, opposite side damage, rollpan (GM- for sale btw, pm), tailgate, grille shell, and some other stuff too, for 350$. sold the gate for 150$, so im in 200$. gotta love s10forum classifieds!

then, finally got the bedside on:

Drove like this for about a month:

and as she sits now (minus a tailgate):

and the wonderful bondo cracks on the gate (also got rid of that stupid plastic thing that was at the top:

and as of tonite, the checkmate bedcover has been smoothed and primed, and the gate has been redone and will be primed. the grillshell is prepped about 90%, and parts of the x-kit are cleaned and scotchedbrited. they still need more work.

thats about it as of now. def have some stuff up my sleeve. but im keeping that underwraps. it will be done in a week and a half. pics will come when mores completed.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
looks like you've been having fun:)

not to bust your balls or anything.....just want to provide some usefull information.

that bedside needed stripped.....even by sanding the graphics smooth and priming there is a 99.9% chance it will ghost through your new finish.

why???i'm not sure!!!

have i seen it?yes!

did it happen to me on a test panel that rarely gets exposed to the sun?yes!

·
Short Bus Anonymous
7,034 Posts
Truck looks good!

And I sand graphics out/stripes a lot and have had the trucks come back for some other shit (damage/extra shit) and havent seen any ghosting...guess maybe I've been lucky...

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
Truck looks good!

And I sand graphics out/stripes a lot and have had the trucks come back for some other shit (damage/extra shit) and havent seen any ghosting...guess maybe I've been lucky...
yes you have....and when your luck runs out you will remember this thread!

me and burton had this conversation last year....maybe he'll give his $.02

·
cokehead
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks like you've been having fun:)

not to bust your balls or anything.....just want to provide some usefull information.

that bedside needed stripped.....even by sanding the graphics smooth and priming there is a 99.9% chance it will ghost through your new finish.

why???i'm not sure!!!

have i seen it?yes!

did it happen to me on a test panel that rarely gets exposed to the sun?yes!
do you meen down to bare metal? we did get rid of all the purple stuff. everything was white when it was primed.

and this is a whole different kinda thing then fun. its fun. but not fun. im used to it at the shop tho.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
do you meen down to bare metal? we did get rid of all the purple stuff. everything was white when it was primed.

and this is a whole different kinda thing then fun. its fun. but not fun. im used to it at the shop tho.
pretty much where graphics are need to be stripped to bare metal.....on a large panel like that,it would be easier and faster to strip the entire panel vs. trying to featheredge the paint....

it's just wierd....there is something chemically that goes on......but it does come back...subtle yes but there nontheless

·
This is doo doo baby!
10,360 Posts
pretty much where graphics are need to be stripped to bare metal.....on a large panel like that,it would be easier and faster to strip the entire panel vs. trying to featheredge the paint....

it's just wierd....there is something chemically that goes on......but it does come back...subtle yes but there nontheless
look at it this way, free ghost flames :haha:

·
Low & Yellow
1,366 Posts
Toad is right. Hey pepper, are you gonna repaint the whole truck cause I noticed some of the blues on your truck didn't match?

·
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL
1,893 Posts
Toad is right on this one...... it sucks but hey its the price we pay for being custom. Keep in mind Toad isn't talking about the color coming through but more of an imprint that is left in the new clear after it settles. You might luck out with that purple if it was a pearl and shot real thin but there is a chance the graphic will show up in the shape of its formal self in the clear.

There is a few reasons this happens and to be honest some of the best painters I know cant answer it with a firm "it will" or "it wont". Even pin striping can come back..... When we do bikes we have to take it all the way down (even where stickers used to be). Theres nothing like having a pissed off biker coming to your door.

·
cokehead
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes, everything will be repainted. i know the doors are a diff color. thats one of the reasons why i wanted it done. it is 7 years old, so it has its wear and tear. things just need fixed. just easier to paint the whole thing than to try and blend/match whats already there.

and i guess we should have took it down more. man i hope this turns out nice.

·
cokehead
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
No worries bro, its looking good... .better then my 7 shades of green primer :D

haha, that sucks! thanks for the compliments. ill try and get some more pictures up tomorrow. i work 10-6, then im goin over to work on it some more afterwards. maybe ill get something sanded, haha. i LOVE sanding sooooo much!

o, and does anyone know a good way to polish my grille inserts? the inserts are the egay ones and the emblem is chrome. both look kinda chalky and oxodized. would mothers polish and a powerball make it shine like new? ive heard someone tell me soda works well, but i dont really believe that one...

·
Low & Yellow
1,366 Posts
haha, that sucks! thanks for the compliments. ill try and get some more pictures up tomorrow. i work 10-6, then im goin over to work on it some more afterwards. maybe ill get something sanded, haha. i LOVE sanding sooooo much!

o, and does anyone know a good way to polish my grille inserts? the inserts are the egay ones and the emblem is chrome. both look kinda chalky and oxodized. would mothers polish and a powerball make it shine like new? ive heard someone tell me soda works well, but i dont really believe that one...
I would use the mothers and a polishing bit on a dremel for the grille. For the bowtie, since it's chrome use a different polish that is for chrome. And yes, sanding is fun!:(

·
cokehead
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea, i got the whole lower half of the truck pretty much blocked out. all thats left is all the xtreme stuff and from the windows up. and little grooves and stuff like that that i couldnt get with the block. the grille needs finished too, but thats just grooves like everything else. anyway, heres the pics. i got further than what i have pics of. forgot to get some.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Can you do me a favor and take a pic of where the cab and bed brackets are positioned with respect to the door openong etc? I have to mount all the brackets for my x kit and I want to make sure I drill in the right spots.......thanks!!

·
cokehead
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
im glad to see this thing finally get fixed. definitly is a very clean truck, with the cleanest interior ever! now maybe the cleanest exterior? guess ill have to wait and see :tup:

definatly not the cleanest ever. the heat really did a number to my dash and airbag. shits startin to crack. owell, guess its time to shave some more off of it, haha. your comin to carlisle right? well youll get to see it in all its glory. inside and OUT. heres some new pics and the pics that where asked for.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts