S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my friend has a camaro and is getting subs. he wants to just seal up the hatch in the back and use it as the sub box. and he wants to put the amp inside the hatch (soon to be box). is this a good idea? cause i seriously dont think it will work out too good.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Well, its been done successfully before, but no its not the ideal location. There are possible over heating problems, sealing all those wires so the box stays sealed, it would be a maintenance nightmare, etc etc. The amp shouldn't take up much room, surely there is a better location than inside the box. Id even mount it to the box (on the outside) before I attempted this sort of thing. That sort of install is usually only done successfully by sophisticated installers doing a very tight-closed system with little room, or unsuccessfully by a noob who doesn't really understand the problems it will lead to. Which one of those fits your friend? :D

It would be a headache at best...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya the overheating was my main concern cause its a 1000 watt alpine amp.

·
Sportbike Nut
245 Posts
just get a mtx thunderform for it. That's what I had in my firebird and it sounded pretty good. Won't give a huge amount of bass, but more than enough for the inside.

·
Registered
325 Posts
What year? If it's a 82-92 check out thirdgen.org , good audio board. They my be able to talk you out of the wall.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya there is no room under the seat. but thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have always just put it on the "hump" over the axle. If you want the best sound put the woofers in that "tub" area in the back facing up towards the rear window.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts