S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Master Shake
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think I'll be installing my whole system soon, amp and subs included. I need some help with the amp install, as I've never done such a thing. I'd like some specifics, like where to run the ground cable, etc. Thanks.

·
Computer Geek
6,326 Posts
85S10Eric said:
Well, I think I'll be installing my whole system soon, amp and subs included. I need some help with the amp install, as I've never done such a thing. I'd like some specifics, like where to run the ground cable, etc. Thanks.
well i would definately run the ground cable to the seat belt bolt. i would run the main power wire either thru the firewall on the passenger side where the antenna grommet is or on the driver side thru the firewall. but if you do it that way it would be alot more wire used. make sure wherever u put the ground that it is tight and clean of any paint. if you need any help i would definately ask smnw2003, he was a big help with my install and will talk u thru everything. thanks again smnw2003 the systems bumps and sounds awesome.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
What if I put the amp under the hood? Haha I know. But it's better to have short power wires to the amp and longer speaker wires than visa versa. BTW solid copper wire conduscts better than stranded, AND you can mold it to conform to the vehicle's contour AND have a smaller wire diameter. I know, I'm weird, but still.

·
CURL UP AND DIE
357 Posts
run the power from your battery through the gap on the top left corner in your engine bay....come through that and then run under plastic on kick panels and then back, did that when i ran mine...the door jamb doesnt hurt the cable. Ant

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
2dxtreme said:
u will never ever ever want to put the amp under the hood.
Not even if I use metal zip ties on the exhaust manifold? The heat should let the molecules flow better, right?

·
Computer Geek
6,326 Posts
repeat you never ever ever want to put the amp in the engine bay. read every manufacturer of amps they specifically state that.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
2dxtreme said:
repeat you never ever ever want to put the amp in the engine bay. read every manufacturer of amps they specifically state that.
I'm just kidding d00d.

·
Computer Geek
6,326 Posts
it should be right where ur seatbelt bolts to the floor. if not u can drill a hole into the floor and ground it that way. but i would probably try to use the seatbelt bolt. it is easier in a extended cab cause u can use the rear seat bolts to ground.

·
LIL RED ROCKET
602 Posts
i would NOT not mount to the seat belt bolt.... i would make a hole and ground to the body... and make several ground from the body to the frame.... you can flow alot more amps that way in you.

i would run bigger wire than what you need for your system. that will help cut down on the resistance.. then when you need small wire in your amp use a d-block... or an adaptor.. that will ensure the most power to your amp/amps on grounds use the same size of wire or bigger

1 - 15 of 15 Posts