S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my Alternator bit the dust yesterday and I'm trying to take it out...and have no clue how to get this bolt out...it's loose and slides but as you can see in the pic, it hits that bracket...the bracket has too bolts on the block and took those out but the last one is like down by the water pump...i tried bendin the bracket but it doesn't want to move...Any thoughts

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
Don't you have a chilton yet?

·
Registered
88 Posts
yup, chilton or a haynes, if your gona work on this yourself, one of these books will be you best friend

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
get a haynes reapair manual. that thing is great

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just took a big screw driver and pulled it to the side while someone pulled it out...pain in the ass tho

·
FactorY RolliN
171 Posts
you know... its funny how much pains those alternators are.. for instance i got my truck for $200 because the alternator was put in wrong :) the previous owner thought that bearings were spun and that the engine was shot... it has 109k-no rust at all and still runs great. as most of you guys- im in the process of re-doing it all..
its just funny a little alternator causes soo much ruckus
btw i had a hard time taking mine out to and you do need a chilton.. its like my bible... you cant know everything

·
Early Member
3,167 Posts
peteyz24 said:
yup, chilton or a haynes, if your gona work on this yourself, one of these books will be you best friend

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
You should have to grind anything off, there should be some way to feed it through.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BlazerLT said:
You should have to grind anything off, there should be some way to feed it through.
there is no possible way to get it out...unless u take the bracket off and one bolt is behind the power steering pump..so goodluck w/ that...talked to my uncle today thats a mechanic and told me the same thing...so sorry ur wrong

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
If it's still in there maybe you could grind the bolt to at least
get it out, and replace it with a grade 8 allen head bolt.
You might have the clearance then..I don't know..You just
have to remember it's the "General" and the "General"
sometimes get a hair in his/it's a$$ to do something strange
like this..For instance the 1st/2nd mounting bolts on the l/front
corner exhaust that DOESN'T allow for one to remove the exhaust
manifold without first removing the pwr/str pump. This support
bracket is tied together with the these two exhaust bolts
and two stud/nuts that are on the rear of the pump. Not
bad one would think, until you realize you need a special
puller for the pwr/str pulley...Lil things like this can drive ya
:nuts: and the "General" [GM] is good at it.

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Tyus4 said:
there is no possible way to get it out...unless u take the bracket off and one bolt is behind the power steering pump..so goodluck w/ that...talked to my uncle today thats a mechanic and told me the same thing...so sorry ur wrong
Thanks for the attitude soaked reply, I was only trying to help.

·
AA
627 Posts
Tyus4 said:
just took a big screw driver and pulled it to the side while someone pulled it out...pain in the ass tho
hey kurt, I had to do the same thing on my 84... that damn lower bolt kept hittin, used alot of WD-40 and a big screwdriver and poped it out after about 20 minutes of struggling...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cmorin543 said:
hey kurt, I had to do the same thing on my 84... that damn lower bolt kept hittin, used alot of WD-40 and a big screwdriver and poped it out after about 20 minutes of struggling...
ya thats wut i ended up doin..using a big screwdriver and pullin it to the side..wut a pain

1 - 14 of 14 Posts