S-10 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
step 1. disconnect batt
step 2. remove belt by pulln belt tensioner away
step 3. remove 3 bolts(alternator comes out)
step 4. unplug/disconnect wire/plug
step 5. reverse procedure
step 6. drink a cold beer(21 and older)
step 7. put tools away n clean up
step 8. come back here and say thank you
step 9. we say your welcome
step 10. browse through s10forum.com and enjoy

·
Registered
21 Posts
I found it hard or impossible to take the alternator out with out taking the belt tensioner off, then it fell to the ground.

also those bolts on the alternator I found hard to get to, find a friend with a skiny arm.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I saw the guy at the mechanic shop do it, and he took off the passeger front wheel to get to it. Is that easier?

·
Registered
340 Posts
wow...way to bring up an old one...lol...ive never had to do taht...its so much easier from the engine bay...hes gettin pain by the hour thats why
:haha: yeah, I did a search and didn't look at the date. Guess you're right about the pay though.

·
HI!
1,050 Posts
I did my 4.3 the other day in about 7 minutes. the only moderately hard part was prying the alternator away from the brackets. I don't have a clutch fan so that helps too

·
I AM CANADIAN
5,647 Posts
I did my 4.3 the other day in about 7 minutes. the only moderately hard part was prying the alternator away from the brackets. I don't have a clutch fan so that helps too
I was gonna ask why it's so hard to change an alt..but then I also realized I'm in the 2.2 section...:haha:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Show off! :D

BTW, I knooow this isn't the Expedition forum BUUUT, I just got home with the family and 2 minutes from home the radio turned off and the lights dimmed, I couldn't accelerate very well and I couldn't bring my windows up until I turned off the truck, and even then it gave me a hard time. I would have to wait for the power to come back on every 2 seconds to rolled them up completely. So, I think it's the alternator, what do you guys think? 99 Expedition. Thanks.

·
got me some 20s
4,020 Posts
Show off! :D

BTW, I knooow this isn't the Expedition forum BUUUT, I just got home with the family and 2 minutes from home the radio turned off and the lights dimmed, I couldn't accelerate very well and I couldn't bring my windows up until I turned off the truck, and even then it gave me a hard time. I would have to wait for the power to come back on every 2 seconds to rolled them up completely. So, I think it's the alternator, what do you guys think? 99 Expedition. Thanks.
you could always take it to a local parts store and get them to check it for you too

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
now that its almost 2 and half years since the last post, i replaced mine last month (morning after my birthday, air tools and hangovers dont mix) i lose from the block just fine but i had to remove the upper half of the radiator shroud to get it out of the engine bay.

·
This is my BOOM stick!
11 Posts
I just changed mine, had the same thing happening. Lights started to dim, gauges went all dead and truck was sluggish. Changed the Batt (was time anyway) and spent probably a little over a hour changing mine out. Mostly due to the low light and odd location and handling of the damned thing. Best to leave the connector and wire hooked up till after you remove the 3 bolts. Had to remove the lower fan shroud to jimmy the thing out. Over all pretty easy, just wish I had more light, would have gone a lot quicker!

·
Kurrupted Kreations
3,837 Posts
nice, noob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts