S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Chevy S10 swb, std cab, 2wd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '84 S10 2wd with a 2.8l/4spd and I plan to install a decent sized stereo system using a couple of my old school Rockford Punch 75HD amps. Problem is, the factory alternator won't be enough for even that output and listening level I usually ride at (or if I have a brain fart and add the Power 300 amp I got as well) and I refuse to get one of those pricey aftermarket units. So I want to know if there is a high(er)-output factory alternator from another GM vehicle that will bolt up to the 2.8's bracket or fit with min. mods. Because I can't be trusted to not add more amps (I was a audio installer back in the 80's and 90's and, even at my age, I got a bad case of the audio sickness), I'll need an alternator with an output between 120 and 140 amps. I look forward to your input.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,243 Posts
Moved top Sound/Security.

·
time to get cereal
3,209 Posts
I'm guessing you have a V-belt setup... the ideal thing would be to convert to serpentine and use a modern alternator, more amps and efficiency.

·
Registered
125 Posts
you mean like this one?
the output stud may not match the clocking on your existing one but you can re-clock it to match.
Remember the full output is not available at idle speeds and if you upgrade the alternator you need to upgrade the alternator to battery wiring to handle the 140 amps. Not to mention a high quality high capacity battery

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you mean like this one?
the output stud may not match the clocking on your existing one but you can re-clock it to match.
Remember the full output is not available at idle speeds and if you upgrade the alternator you need to upgrade the alternator to battery wiring to handle the 140 amps. Not to mention a high quality high capacity battery

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, my dumb tail didn't even think about checking Summit,...and I live outside of Atlanta! Thanks for making my brain fart go away. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. I learned that my '84 2.8l 2x4 uses a CS130 alternator and that the CS144 is, with only minor mods needed to clear certain items due to the latter's case being physically larger (mounting ears are the same though), interchangeable. What's more, a 90's Caprice police/taxi alt. uses a CS144, 140 amp unit (Remy pt# 91408). So, for junkyard crawlers like myself, this may be a cheap alternative to buying a reman. or aftermarket unit. However, new Remy 91408 alts are about $110 at most parts shops.

Hope this helps someone out.

Fyi: Dunno if the CS130 alt. in the 2.5l is the same dimensionally but, knowing GM, it might be. Soooo?...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts