S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
99 4 SHOW & 02 XBLAZE
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So switching from truck accessories to corvette accessorie. They make a bunch of brackets to line up with corvette accessories but they are made for corvette power steering pum. That’s rack and pinio. My 2002 xblaze has a zq8
gear box for steering.Anybody get the right set up for corvette accessories and a pump that will work with the zq8 steering box. I got the new ac bracket from cpw.

·
Been there Done it
8,383 Posts
I seem to remember seeing a kit available to lower the pressure of the pump so you don't cause steering box leaks. Just lowers the point where the relief valve opens. Don't know if it'll fit the Corvette pump, tho.
The only other issue I can think of is to be sure your bracket raises the PS pump above the steering box.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,863 Posts
I seem to remember seeing a kit available to lower the pressure of the pump so you don't cause steering box leaks. Just lowers the point where the relief valve opens. Don't know if it'll fit the Corvette pump, tho.
The only other issue I can think of is to be sure your bracket raises the PS pump above the steering box.
Your ZQ8 box is also known as a Saginaw 800 series steering gear.

The TC-II pump can be used with a Saginaw steering gear if the internal bypass spring is reduced in PSI to ~1200. Generally this means ordering the pump that way from like Lee Power Steering, Turn One, PSC, etc. although the rockcrawling world sort of solved this since some of the jeeps used TC-II pumps, and guys still do, and the rams required lower PSI, so a lot use a 1200psi/3GPM pump.

1000-1200 PSI is the range for Saginaw steering gears typically.
700-800 PSI is the range for the mustang rack and pinion, so you see common valving for that as well.

A common problem with the TC-II is bore pitting due to cavitation caused by oil starvation at higher RPM, having a -10 inlet to remote res helps reduce this problem. Otherwise, run the largest diameter pulley you can fit to reduce the operating RPM and/or run an undersized crank pulley to reduce belt speed. (e.g. produce less belt inches per crank revolution, or require more belt inches per pump revolution).

A final note- most "stock" TC-II pumps produce less than 3gpm, most are around 1.8-2.4gpm which is too low for a Saginaw gear. They also produce a bit too much PSI typically.

Hope that helps.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,863 Posts
I should add that the TC-II pump can be mounted in any orientation, and that it can be ordered with either left handed or right handed high pressure outlet. Depending on the specific brackets used this can alleviate issues. I have a TC-II which is mounted upsidown basically in order to point the nipples toward where I can feed lines, though had I used holley's res on pump setup, I'd have mounted rightside up. As long as you're not drawing air, the pump don't care which way the oil comes in from, unlike say, a sanden A/C compressor which cannot be mounted upsidown…

I use the large 4 spoke dorman/holley PS pulley which is ~6.5" IIRC, with a stock LS dia. crank pulley.

·
99 4 SHOW & 02 XBLAZE
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I talked with the guy at d d and he said I should be able to use the cameo one this calls for. He said I would have to make new lines. There is a guy here in town hose man I can have make them. He mentioned to make sure it is not over pressurized

·
99 4 SHOW & 02 XBLAZE
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My bad or the spell check on here ??‍♂ Camaro nice so that might be the best bet then going with the ict or lsx innovations with a corvette pump and reducing the pressur. Truly plan was a 5.3 with everything else How it is.had for like 13 years now. Motor finally went out 5 so I bought my ss silverado and planned on this project and finally got to it last year. Had cpw make my harness and program the original computer to run the 5.3 Thanks for all the info on what I need.

·
99 4 SHOW & 02 XBLAZE
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I went with the dirty ding bats one corvette scaring wth a f body p s pump.

·
99 4 SHOW & 02 XBLAZE
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the ac bracket from cpw and waiting for the coolant reservoir from them. Doing the the cpp fuel set up today and putting on the fresh transmission cooler. The original one I put in many years ago. Get the cold Air intake set up also.

·
99 4 SHOW & 02 XBLAZE
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I go a few more steps ahead. Got the cpp fuel set up done the wire harness in and mostly all hooked up engine and transmissio. Took out the old transmission cooler out and put in a new one. Thing was like 8 years old maybe forgot when I put it in Originally.

·
99 4 SHOW & 02 XBLAZE
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So a question I got for someone is I got a type 2 f body power steering pump set on the bracket a while back. Does anybody know the size of the fittings on the pump and the zq8 gear box ? Idk if I can use adapters or I got to get some hoses made 🤔 please let me know want to get this out of the way and I’m almost completely done.

·
99 4 SHOW & 02 XBLAZE
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess nobody in here has done it. I’ll figure it out online For Saturday to get it done,

·
( . Y . )
955 Posts
I've read the stock s-10 lines fit but I haven't got to that part of my swap yet.

I believe gearbox is 18 x 1.5mm. The pump is 16 x 1.5mm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts