S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2daXtreme
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my altenator is on its way out. I have under drive pullies so when im at an idle the volt meter drops to the mid point between 9 and 14. when i hit the gas it used to go back up to right under 14. Lately when im at an idle it will drop a lil under the mid point and when i hit the gas it will only go back a lil bit above the mid way mark.

Now my question is i have no problem replacing the thing, but i want to know if i can get a bigger amp one without screwing it anything up? And if so what size can i go up to? I have an efan and i want to put a big system in so i figured an upgrade would be in order if i was going to replace it anyway.

·
Central Kentucky Tech
431 Posts
i got a 200amp direct replacement with 4 guage wire, and powder coated from excessiveamperage.com for 300 bucks including shipping. Only have great comments on it. Customer service is A+ , so is shipping time.

·
Registered
355 Posts
is there such thing as too much amps ? just curiuosity thats all

·
MiniStyle Magazine
207 Posts
my2gxtreme said:
I think my altenator is on its way out. I have under drive pullies so when im at an idle the volt meter drops to the mid point between 9 and 14. when i hit the gas it used to go back up to right under 14. Lately when im at an idle it will drop a lil under the mid point and when i hit the gas it will only go back a lil bit above the mid way mark.

Now my question is i have no problem replacing the thing, but i want to know if i can get a bigger amp one without screwing it anything up? And if so what size can i go up to? I have an efan and i want to put a big system in so i figured an upgrade would be in order if i was going to replace it anyway.
Here is a direct quoted email from MechMan (http://www.mechman.com):

We have three models that will fit your vehicle. First is the 20-845-144 ($392.00) rated 145Amps Hot (170Amps Cold), next 20-870-144 ($454.00) rated @ 170Amps Hot (200Amps Cold) and last is the 20-900-144 ($534.00) rated @ 200Amps Hot (235Amps Cold). All three require an adapter plug ($35.00) for the install. Shipping costs will be about $28.00 USA ground. If you have
more questions, call our tech support @ 760-956-7596 or email us. To place an order, call 888MECHMAN (632-4626) or email us.

Regards

Dennis Moore

P.S. This was for my 99' so I'm not sure for pre 99's.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Unless you need all those amps, go with a quality stocker (Not the cheap autozone Remans). Higher amp alts do take a little more HP to turn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts