S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Store bought ain't custom
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a question for all of you that installed the header from Al's. Did you get a dramatic drop in gas mileage?

My truck went from about 22 when driving around town to 16. I've only driven about half a tank worth on the new header, but its got me worried that maybe I did something wrong. Could also be that I'm playing with it more to see if the header did make a difference, and it did.

Just wanted to see what happened to other people's mileage after the install.

Thanks.
Thomas

·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
increase in performance, yes. much more zippy around 2500 and on the freeway. Its more fun to drive now. I am certain that is part of my gas mileage problem. On the throttle too much.

·
UAH By-product
1,092 Posts
I drive too much to take a shot in gas mileage. Especially when I have to pay for a header THEN getting worse mileage. All the same though, if anyone can link me to somewhere I can buy Al's header I'd be much abliged.

·
Central Kentucky Tech
431 Posts
From what i know there isn't a website, you have to send a money order just to get one. Try the "minitruckin mods a 2.2" post, its about 15+ pages and should have all the information you'd ever need.

·
slowly fast
2,001 Posts
imconfused said:
I got a question for all of you that installed the header from Al's. Did you get a dramatic drop in gas mileage?

My truck went from about 22 when driving around town to 16. I've only driven about half a tank worth on the new header, but its got me worried that maybe I did something wrong. Could also be that I'm playing with it more to see if the header did make a difference, and it did.

Thanks.
Thomas
Did you reset your coputer after you installed it?it takes a while for your computer to adjust to modifications.

·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the battery disconnected while I was installing it. I almost got zapped when I started unbolting the lower flange, next to the starter. That should have reset the computer, right?

·
Dead Project Truck
649 Posts
If memory serves, it should still take a while for the computer to "learn" its best settings since your asking to operate outside of what it coonsiders normal.

How much are our computers capable of compensating for, mod wise? There was a web page that I was reading on a while back that went into great detail about gm's tbi systems, their proper tuning and performance upgrades. They state that the tbi fuel systems are only capable of handling one, maybe two mods before it starts throwing the stock computers and fuel system out of tune. Anybody know how hard it is to throw our trucks out of whack with simple mods like a Al's header a high flow cat and a straight thru muffler like a glass pack? How much are our computers capable of compensating for? Not trying to steal your post, seems like a good time to ask since its kind of relavent to what your asking.

·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounds relavent to me.

·
slowly fast
2,001 Posts
I would think the first thing to do if your are going to start modifing stuff is a computer chip of some kind to widen some of the base perameters(timing,fuel,speed limiters).

·
slowly fast
2,001 Posts
imconfused said:
I had the battery disconnected while I was installing it. I almost got zapped when I started unbolting the lower flange, next to the starter. That should have reset the computer, right?
If the battery was disconnected how did you almost get zapped?Also when you reset your computer by disconnecting the battery turn the ignition key to on and pump the brakes acouple times to discharge any capacitance.

·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I started before disconnecting the battery. Almost got zapped, then decided that it might be a good idea to disconnect it.

As far as the computer learning to deal with mods, should my computer compensate some eventually? Does that mean that my gas mileage should get at least a little bit better after some miles?

·
THE ANTIBOWTIE OUTKAST!!!
2,230 Posts
imconfused said:

Thanks.
Thomas
My truck never got 22 around town I got 22-24 all highway 14-16 around town. My mpg didn't get better or worse really when I put the header on but my foot is in it alot more now:racing: Deff. alot better perf. though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Our trucks are sequential fuel injection (SFI), not throttle body injection (TBI). It is not possible to have SFI with TBI, because there must be multiple fuel injectors. However, on the TBI, there is one fuel injector within the throttle body, hence throttle body injection. I know it is an anal point to make, but I know that '99 and up are SFI, and I had and early '90s that was TBI, but that was a 4.3, and I don't know about early '90s four cylinders.
bigman1:thumbup:

·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wha?

·
Registered
300 Posts
94-95 2.2s are mpi this means there is an injector for each port but htey are all open all the time

96-97 ? not sure

98-03 are sfi this means there is an injector for each port and it opens in time with the intake valve, not sure exactly when, i think it opens right before the intake valves

sfi is the best
mpi is he second best
tbi is 3rd
then theres carburaturs :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
I thoroughly agree with your list of injection methods. However, carbs are good in there own right. Such as ease of tuning and lack of complexity, which is why they are prominently used in racing applications. They are however very inefficient compared with today's fuel injection b/c they work off of engine vacuum, and then you get into double pumpers and spread bore carbs. It's all very technical in its own right. Actually, Truckn' did a very good series of articles about carb terminology and how they work. Anyway, I know it is off topic, but I thought I would put that in there.
bigman1:thumbup:

·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
update

I drove my truck home for thanksgiving. its a 500 mile round trip. Turns out my gas mileage is the same as it was before. 25 mpg So it looks like I was just driving like a nut right after I installed the header.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts