S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I decided I was tired of having a shimmed up bed and decided I was going to finish what I started, so here I am with the front end torn off and the frame horns lowered, I just have a few questions before I get too deep....

OK what in the hell am I going to have to do for my fuel filler to work with the b/d??

Danny I know that at one point you mentioned that your 5 speed transmission had a piece that hung below the frame, what happened to it? mine is almost drug all the way through and I dont want to fock something up.

lol now that I have this thread started I cant think fo what all I was going to ask... wish me luck on the rest of the b/d...

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know why, but for some odd reason I'm not skilled enough with the sawzall to cut the firewall with it, I think I'm going to use the cutting wheels, what did everyone else use?

·
Bolt-On Body Dropz
2,617 Posts
Why doesn't your filler neck come through the factory spot man? I don't remember what you are talking about though with my tranny hanging below the frame.

·
DTC built
1,300 Posts
cut off wheels are the shit. i had a piece hanging down on my 5-speed where some support braces mounted, emphasis on, I HAD.
later

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
i know what your talking bout i have the same problems on s10s that i do on some the trannys hang down, solution, cut it off (on some trannys) and the filler neck go spend 20 bucks on a flexible gas hose from your local parts store they work great . and yes they come i sizes as big as 2 inch

·
Bolt-On Body Dropz
2,617 Posts
K-OTIC KUSTOMZ said:
i know what your talking bout i have the same problems on s10s that i do on some the trannys hang down, solution, cut it off (on some trannys) and the filler neck go spend 20 bucks on a flexible gas hose from your local parts store they work great . and yes they come i sizes as big as 2 inch
Maybe I need to go to Jersey to have a parts store that sells these. The people out here look like they're dumbfounded when I even ask for that, especially when they ask what its for.

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if I just cut that piece it should be ok, right? the only things I'm waiting on at this point is some sheet metal to fill, some 10 gauge to reinforce the frame horns,cut off wheels, seam sealer, some square tubing (go in between frame horns for a point for a jack), and some spray pain, and I should have this puppy knocked out. I have the cab cut in all places other then the firewall. Since I dont have but 2 jacks I'm going to do what DOThatesme did, put 1/2" wood under the frame, level it, cut, drop and weld it back in. Unless there is a better method with 2 jacks and 2 jack stands.

·
Bolt-On Body Dropz
2,617 Posts
Go buy 2 hydraulic jacks, I got mine for 8 a piece at Wal Mart. I used 4 jacks on the cab, and 4 cinder blocks holding the frame up.

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
right now I have 2 2x4's under each side fo the frame, and I'm going to get one 2x4 and a piece of 1/2" plywood on that so all I will have to do is drop it on that, measure and weld.

So did any of you tub your firewall... I need pics to guide me through my b/d.

·
Bolt-On Body Dropz
2,617 Posts
Mine is tubbed but I will have pictures soon of me redoing the firewall for bigger rims. Just do a search on here and you can find many pics of tubs.

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On the passenger side its going to be easy as hell, but on the drivers side I'm a little scraed to start cutting due to the fact that the fuse box thing is right there, what in the world can I do about it?

I notched the hell out of my control arm, and I used some round tube (cut and kinda countoured) and it turned out really good, I'll be pissed if I didnt notch it in the right location lol.

I've done a little bit of checking and it seems that most people use a 23-24" tire on a body drop, so since I have 225/50/15's currently I figured I will tub and all that for that size tire, I think I'm just going to tub with some sheet metal, because I cannot think of anywhere locally to get tubs.

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
Summit/Jegs sells tubs for cheap w/ low shipping.... sheetmetal works too though.

As for the fusebox, your tubs are probably gonna hit where it is mounted now, so you're gonna probably have to relocate it to inside the cab somewhere... You may have to extend some wires, not sure, but it's no biggie... Just pull it out of the spot (leave it connected but just laying inside), do the body drop, then find a spot once it's all welded back up to mount it.

·
Bolt-On Body Dropz
2,617 Posts
You are also probably going to need to raise your wiring harness and maybe even get rid of your parking brake.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts