S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Whats the warranty and Im reading correctly its only good about 15sec then the batts need to recharge? So how long can you reuse it after the first run can you go light to light I dout it. And those look like starter parts to me for that much you would think its a frigin jet turbine. IMO of course.

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GoofyGuy said:
Whats the warranty and Im reading correctly its only good about 15sec then the batts need to recharge? So how long can you reuse it after the first run can you go light to light I dout it. And those look like starter parts to me for that much you would think its a frigin jet turbine. IMO of course.
It's all in their FAQ online, but it recharges pretty quick if you have a 100 amp alternator. (I think the newer S10's have something close to that) It's meant to be used like NO2, 15 seconds of boost then a quick recharge cycle.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
And how long till it kills your alt. With that kind of drain every time you use it itll kill your entire charging system. Even if it has its own power supply when it goes into its recharge cycle its gonna tax the system pretty bad.

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GoofyGuy said:
And how long till it kills your alt. With that kind of drain every time you use it itll kill your entire charging system. Even if it has its own power supply when it goes into its recharge cycle its gonna tax the system pretty bad.
You really need to read their FAQ. They've addressed this from what it looks like.

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
just put a cap inline for the superchargers power supply...would help a little!!!

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
yeah just like a 1000 watt amp says it wont hurt your charging system they reccomed a cap though tell that to the many alts Ive gone thorugh over the years.

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently no one's reading the fine print at their website. The install includes a switch to disconnect the alt during use. You're alt is only used to recharge the batteries between uses.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
But what recharges these High power batteries? Solar power? Ahh just givin ya a hard time I feel sorry for the person who has this.

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:bash:
Ok, I should get a comission from these guys.... Boost on, alt off. Boost off, alt on. Batteries are charged between uses and alt is off for the few seconds its used.

I supposed if it worked and I had to replace an alt, that's no worse than having your turbo bearings go every couple years. 'nuff said. Someone buy one and tell us how it works. Don't kill the messenger.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
turbo bearings don't just randomly need replacement bud.....and I'd definitely choose turbo over a gimick like this!

Caleb

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
i wasn't saying get a cap to protect the alternator casue i did read that part...but it has to put strain on something whether its taking power form the alternator all the time or some of the time...and for it to charge that fast it would have to take a huge amount of power fast...therefore making things dim and so on...thats why i said add a cap..it couldn't hurt!!

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
xtrememeasures said:
i wasn't saying get a cap to protect the alternator casue i did read that part...but it has to put strain on something whether its taking power form the alternator all the time or some of the time...and for it to charge that fast it would have to take a huge amount of power fast...therefore making things dim and so on...thats why i said add a cap..it couldn't hurt!!
True, it would put an extra load on the alt. Supposedly they say a 100 amp alt will charge the batteries back up in about 7 min, so it doesn't sound like it would be too big of a strain. I'm not sure a standard 1 farad type cap would work with this, but I've heard of something called a batcap or capbat that's a hybrid, but it's big bucks.

I'm just curious what supercharger housing they're using since an Eaton 45 goes for about $2500 to $2700 and they are asking $2000 for this thing. Does anyone else make a housing that size?

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
close the first time batcap 15 farad monster had one in my focus. you can do a turbo setup cheaper than that. just wait till super finishes and see what it costs. I think it will be worth the wait.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
I'm gonna go with goofy on that one, that thing costs 2,000?? Way too expensive for something like that, when 99super10 is going to be keeping his costs down....I don't think it'll be much more than that 2,000...and you'll be putting out constant power all the time, just tap the throttle and get into it...you'll have more power that doesn't need recharge time, I don't see why anyone would go with that electric pile o' dookie.

Caleb

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll give you that on the $, I wouldn't pay 2K for it either. Unless I won the lottery that is. It looks like a Eaton M45 housing and that's a chunk of change right there. I'd rather get that and figure out a belt drive for it if I were going shopping.

·
Registered Abuser
2,375 Posts
why pay more than 2000 for 15 secs of boost when you can pay a little more and have boost any time you want/need it?

I'd sure like to see the check valve for the intake, and how that thing works. I dont think you could hold any boost in the intake if you dont have something to prevent the pressurized air from going back out the filter.
I read through some of the little print, and saw the check valve listed in the parts, but I'm still curious about how that would work. Mainly because I dont think that leafblower will put out enough air for the engine to consume. Not talking about pressure, but the rate of flow and how much air the engine uses.

Ive seen wierder things i guess.. Doing some work on a massive engine and its got 4 turbos and 2 blowers...one of these days Ive got to take a camara to work with me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts