S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Brings The Mosh
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so confused..my truck has been pissing me off lately. Heres the deal, tonight I went to go pick up a lady friend of mine, when I got to her house I called her up and she said to wait outside and shed be down in a second, so i left my truck on and just chilled. First Off my truck idles at 1100 RPM? Is that unusually? How about 1400 or so when the AC or fan is on? So sometimes when I'm bored I stomp the E-brake and slowly release to clutch to lower the RPM and c how low i can get it without stalling...well this time something way weird happened AFTER I PUT THE CLUTCH BACK IN, MY TRUCK WAS IDLING AT 4000 RPM!!! 4000! I don't know if this has ever happened to somebody else in her but it was freakin scary, i thought the RPM would kept climbing and freakin blow threw the rev limited and blow the shiite to pieces. It was weird, so I put it in gear and i didn't need to give it any gas and it was accelerating at its usual rate (terrible) but it was weird. It kept accelerating through 4th gear and when I press the brake it just revved HIGHER! When I got back around to her house I shut it off and went inside. When i started it up again it was idling at 1100 as usual...What is going on here? Its not like its some old clunker, its a 2000. I'm thinking its a timing problem...opinions (besides sell it or drop a V8 please) ?

·
Registered
697 Posts
sounds to me like a lemon. if its still under warranty take it in.

·
Registered
109 Posts
mine used to do it all the time as well, it only happens when I am about to stall out, lets say below 500rpm's when i am trying to move from a dead stop. So, I think what is happening is to prevent it from stalling out and making yourself look bad is your still pushing on the gas some, but you mash on the clutch to prevent it from stalling. Once youv'e done that, you are in neutral, but you still had your foot on the gas... causing it to rev up. That happens very rarely now, but when I was just learning how to drive a manual transmission, it used to happen a lot. Hope that helps you out some, and to me, there is nothing wrong with your truck, just be a little easier on the clutch, lol.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I dunno what the deal is on that 4,000 RPM incident but the 2200 S-10's DO idle high. Mine idles at 1100-1200 when it's cold and comes down to as low as 950 but that's about it. The same 2200 engine in a Cavalier (FWD arrangement is only difference) idles at 850-900. Makes no sense to me. I wish I could bring the idle down a bit. There doesn't appear to be a stop screw on the throttle body that I could back out, unfortunately.

You know one thing I do like though? Even though I just have a 4-banger, the exhaust note from the back end sounds kinda deep and manly, unlike a Cava-queer. (stock exhaust) You -almost- can't tell it from a V6 if you are standing near the tail gate.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Well, mine idles around 900, up to 1000 with the AC on.....my throttle got stuck open once shortly after I bought it, the throttle cable came loose and then it got caught on something and my TPS was unplugged for some reason....like it wasn't fully in from the factory and it worked itself loose....I shut the truck off idling at 4000 cause I didn't know what else to do and popped the hood and was like WTF.....Mines an 03.....tightened the cable up and put the TPS sensor in and clicked it.....runs fine now :shrugs:

Caleb

·
Registered
87 Posts
Have you checked the TB plate? Take off the throttle body elbow, and look at your throttle plate. Clean it off nicely, as well as the TB walls. Since you have no way of checking your TPS I'd do that first, as Ive seen TB plates stick and its pretty nasty sometimes. Mine one time (not an S10, but still a TB is a TB) got stuck and was damn near bouncing off the rev limiter at idle. I was forced to shut the car off by the key because I couldnt do anything else. Cleaned the body out and it was fine. The other option is that your cables are getting caught up somewhere or they are mal-adjusted. Try checking those out 2nd, and see if you notice a problem there. Otherwise there should be an idle adjustment screw or something similar to control idle. But again I believe it sounds like a stuck TB as mentioned earlier to me. Clean out the TB and see if your problem doesnt disappear. Its an easy fix if thats the case and it doesnt take much to keep one stuck open.

·
Brings The Mosh
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys ~Rollins

·
Store bought ain't custom
516 Posts
Check your IAT. Its the big thing on top of the throttle body with a plug coming out of it. It controls idle. My service manual says to check the resistance on it. There should be 4 pins inside if you unplug it. Check the resistance across the two on the left, and across the two on the right. It should be between 40 and 80 ohms. I'm about 80% sure about those numbers. I was just playing with the throttle body last week. Also might want to check all of the vacuum lines on top of the throttle body.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sounds like a fuel system problem, like the fuel regulator or something. Like it's pushing fuel into the engine at idle. My old Beretta did the same thing. I'd be sitting there parked and the engine would start to rev.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts