S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with a technician who works on R &D for the ‘yorks’
I told him I wanted to use the model 209 for example as an air compressor.
He said it can be done with no adverse affects but keep these points in mind,

(1) If your EDC is silver PAINT it black – the high temp black paint will dissipate the heat better then the bare aluminum.
(2) The heat of the EDC should NEVER exceed 250F this was cause oil break down and head damage.
(3) Why do the EDC pass so much oil? Because they only have one ring for oil this alone will not stop all oil passage.
(4) If this is used as an air compressor the ‘PISSER’ hole as they say "oil mod" it. Needs to be blocked. THIS WILL NOT affect the compressor in negative way.
(5) At the temps we run them at we need to run 30 or 40 weight oil no multi oil like 10W30 the chemicals that make it multi oil will break down and it will act like 10weight.
(6) The oil used must be non foaming oil!! The more it foams the more it will pass!
(7) IF YOU DO THE OIL MOD, YOU MUST VENT THE CRANK CASE!
Or you will hurt the compressor. The vent must be on the side of the compressor that the crank shaft spins away from. The oil splash system will form a standing wave on the wall of the compressor.
(8) Grade 5 bolts must be used when mounting to the side of the compressor your are screwing into aluminum so keep this in mind.

(8) Race oil works the best!

Hope this helps answer a few questions and roomers floating around!

Thanks to climate control for this info.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
645 Posts
Forrest said:
Example of "Race oil" ?
race oil is straight weight oil. i use valvaline R1 race oil. its 40weight ND.
we have a 510 race engine, so that what we use in it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
thats awsome doug!!!! thanks for helping us all by calling them and talking to them!!!

yeah, where can we get the fittings to vent the crank case??

·
ITS NOT EASY BEING EASY, MODERATOR
19,339 Posts
there is a way to keep your edc cool. my sandens got pretty hot so i did this and it worked good.

what you can do is go to your local junk yard and get a small radiator, small ac condensor or even a heater core. mount it in front of your radiator and mount a small electric fan on it like from a honda or some small car. if you have ac u may not have room to mount it there.. if u have no ac u can use a stock s10 condensor in the stock location.

then hook up the out put of the radiator, ac condensor or heater core to the intake of the edc.

you will need to put a filter on the intake of the radiator, ac condensor or heater core.

this will keep your edc very cool and help it put out cooler air.

it will also help to keep the temp of the oil in the edc down

the ''dragginbody'' way to intercool your edc! lol

·
Registered
645 Posts
dropt98chevy said:
Looks like I shall do the "oil mod"
and get a breather! :) i have done my mod this weekend. i just need to get the breather.

what fittings to i need to go from the bolt from the side of the case to a air mufflter?

·
Registered
645 Posts
HEY! i went looking and noticed the extreme oasis has a finded head on it to help disapate heat....can we all get one:)

·
Ol' Skool Member
395 Posts
yeah.. i just got done plugging my oil hole and was wanting to know where u vented it at.? do u have to drill a whole or can u use the oil fill hole

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
dragginbody said:
there is a way to keep your edc cool. my sandens got pretty hot so i did this and it worked good.

what you can do is go to your local junk yard and get a small radiator, small ac condensor or even a heater core. mount it in front of your radiator and mount a small electric fan on it like from a honda or some small car. if you have ac u may not have room to mount it there.. if u have no ac u can use a stock s10 condensor in the stock location.

then hook up the out put of the radiator, ac condensor or heater core to the intake of the edc.

you will need to put a filter on the intake of the radiator, ac condensor or heater core.

this will keep your edc very cool and help it put out cooler air.

it will also help to keep the temp of the oil in the edc down

the ''dragginbody'' way to intercool your edc! lol
cant you patent something like this too? and sell your own shiet? im sure alot of york owners would love one :cool:

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was told to drill a hole in the bolt to act as a vent ;)

·
Ol' Skool Member
395 Posts
would u need some kind of one way valve or filter to shit out of the compressor or do u just leave the hole open

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Primer said:
would u need some kind of one way valve or filter to shit out of the compressor or do u just leave the hole open
they recomend an inline fuel filter lol like for a tractor

·
Registered
853 Posts
Not sure I agree with the painting black, since in most cases high temp paints claim a reduction in under hood temp.

The only way that that makes sense is if the paint acts as an insulator.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts