S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Which one were you looking at?

i just quickly looked through crutchfields website and their crime guards are not a plug n play, unless they include a ignition plug harness. but you will still have to wire into the other sensors.

Any alarm out there unless its a simple 2-wire (where you just hook it to the battery) will require some wiring into the vehicle. All vehicles have different triggers (+, -, or many others).

Any alarm is only as good as the installer can make it.

·
s-10 newbie
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes you have a point i was reading a bit more and found out i wtill need to mess with some wiring. i plan on the crime guard 750i6. i want to do it myself to learn how to but i want to take my time and be very patient with it. its worth a try so ill see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
If your going to orer that one from crutchfield i would look into spending another $50 and getting the python responder 460 from them. Python is the same as the viper. better brand

not to mention if you have questions about the install more people on here are familiar with viper (dei) products than they will be with the crime guard

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
If your going to orer that one from crutchfield i would look into spending another $50 and getting the python responder 460 from them. Python is the same as the viper. better brand

not to mention if you have questions about the install more people on here are familiar with viper (dei) products than they will be with the crime guard
I was going to say the same thing.

I can get them I just dont do much with them. DEI products are good. I also get audiovox prestigue, and clarion Ungo from my dist.

The clarion line looks really good but I haven't had any luck with them but the prestigue went in really well in my '94 blazer and am replacing the Ungo one in the wife's '97 GA with the same prestigue.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I was going to say the same thing.

I can get them I just dont do much with them. DEI products are good. I also get audiovox prestigue, and clarion Ungo from my dist.

The clarion line looks really good but I haven't had any luck with them but the prestigue went in really well in my '94 blazer and am replacing the Ungo one in the wife's '97 GA with the same prestigue.

Your dist?? RTE???

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
just keep in mind that alot of name brands unless bought through an authorized online retailer the warranty from dei is void and null. all problems will have to go back to the seller. crutchfield is one of the only authorized online retailers for them.

·
BumblBXtreme
177 Posts
if you just want to make sure that no one will steal your truck i suggest wiring a switch in you fuel pump circuit. Put the switch into the cab of the truck and when you leave switch it on and put a flashin led to make it look legit. hind the switch and it will be impossible to steal the truck unless they find the switch.

·
s-10 newbie
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im more worried about the sound system im going to put into it even though its not much but theres some little wanna be gangsters that live down the streets that are always up to no good. i want my alarm to be able to detect window breaking more than anything else. and the shock sensor of course.

·
Registered
51 Posts
im more worried about the sound system im going to put into it even though its not much but theres some little wanna be gangsters that live down the streets that are always up to no good. i want my alarm to be able to detect window breaking more than anything else. and the shock sensor of course.
Alarms are good, but if you are in a high-risk area... make you system as stealth as possible. Unless someone knows the truck, your basic thug may pass over your truck if nothing is visible.

Just food for thought...

·
s-10 newbie
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alarms are good, but if you are in a high-risk area... make you system as stealth as possible. Unless someone knows the truck, your basic thug may pass over your truck if nothing is visible.

Just food for thought...
you do have a point the thing is these little punks already saw me when i was wiring the truck while i was was in my driveway in the alley cuz they walked by. i am trying to hide everything. wires sub box n all. the only thing not hideable is headunit it came with an aftermarket cheap dual from walmart. i did wanna swap it for a better nicer pioneer but i think ima pass on it. i no for sure i will put a switch on the remote to the amp to turn off.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Well. I'm really inexperienced with alarm installs so I did what any s10 modder that's over his head worth his salt does. Installed what looked like it would be really hard to do.

Went with a alarm/remote start(Viper 5701, extra siren, plans to switch to an external shock sensor). And added power locks using a DEI 451m relay pack.

Honestly Looking at the install book and wiring diagrams I thought I was way over my head. But take your time, double and triple check where your wires go and cut your starter wire LAST. I did that as my first cut(it should be the only wire you cut too) and got lucky with no problems.

Just some tips for ya. 12volt.com and yes this forum as well can offer some great tips for brain placement(assuming you end up with an alarm that has the shock sensor built into the brain) or shock sensor placement.

Don't use scotch locks for anything. Honestly I wouldn't use T-Taps for any part of the install ether but the did come in handy for my tach connection (remote start related). Solder wires together if you want if not do the steps like you are soldering but tape instead of solder.

With pick ups the trunk sensor is rather useless unless you have a bed cover then you got some options, a normal pin(like your dome lite switches in your door jam) to a tilt sensor.

Remove ALL wires that you do not need, once you find where you are going to mount the alarm brain, loosely mount it and cut all the wires to length + and inch or two(I did my wires one at a time witch made making them look factory a real pain in the ass) then before making connections take a look at your factory wiring and try to make the alarm wiring look as factory as possible.

I'm not sure if 2nd gen s10s are like first gens. But a great place for the siren is under the battery tray. I used magnets and a 12volt drill battery to test different locations under the hood and under the battery tray, screwed to the core support offered, by my ear, the loudest placement(lots of echoing) and seems to be decently water proof as well.

Oh. On shock sensor placement(standalone or one that is built in to the brain. I did some asking around on forums and local installers. They all told me to NOT mount it on something solid(like the firewall) 7 out or 10 people said the best place was on an air duct as close to the center of the dash as possible.

That's about all I got. Currently I've got 2.5 installs under my belt(my 5701, a Viper 5101 remote start in a 91 Astro and I helped with the install of a 5701 in a 03 Taurus and a 5101 in my old 88 s10 Blazer.

In the end all it really takes is knowing how to read an instruction manual and wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Come up to mpls i can do it for you.. i was in the car audio/installation business for 9 years. a 2000 s-10 without adding powerlocks (actuators) is only like an hour or so job.

·
Its that dam ADD!
4,742 Posts
i was reading on crutchfield.com that crime guard alarms are easy to install and pretty good for their price? or viper alarms are they plug n play like crime gurads
thats the biggest load of crap ever. Alarms are all about the same to install

1 - 20 of 20 Posts