S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatcha all running for alarm systems? I'm trying a Crimestopper 2000 in mine and plan on adding on some other extras to it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
what do you think of that alarm so far i need an alarm bad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have a compustar and love it. i put a crimestopper cms2001 in my girlfriends car, it has remote start and she loves it. haven't had any problems with it. i got it off of ebay for like $75 including shipping. great deal imo.

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hawker820 said:
i have a compustar and love it. i put a crimestopper cms2001 in my girlfriends car, it has remote start and she loves it. haven't had any problems with it. i got it off of ebay for like $75 including shipping. great deal imo.
You know they sell the CS2001 at millionbuy.com for $65?

·
32,797 Posts
I have a Lo-jack that the dealer put on for free on my fullsize and the Blazer had a GM alarm on it already when we bought it. Both alarms are good. There's really no difference, except the Lo-jack gets me an extra insurance discount.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I got the crime stopper CS2003, and am in the process of installing it right now. It looks a lot harder than it really is, so far it has taken me 3hrs, and I have everything but the module mounted and the power locks hooked up to the alarm. (Not factory, just actuators from ebay) I would say to mount the siren, then get the wiring harness wired up, then mount the module and finish off everything. And use the fusebox to your for some of your wiring.

And in case anyone cares, I got it off ebay for $60 and $6 for each actuator... it came out to $82 after shipping.

DogP

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my Crimestopper 2000 put in this week. Wasn't too bad. Took about 2 hours total. System is a great choice if you want a small unit that will mount anywhere. The brain of it is about the size of a pack of smokes and the siren is small enough to hide just about anywhere under the hood. The shock sensor is even smaller than the control unit. Only complaint is the wires are a bit short for some of the hookups you'll need. No big deal though. I'd recommend this system for anyone wanting an inexpensive system you can put in yourself.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Wow... that was pretty quick install. Did you have power locks before, did you add them, or don't you have them at all. Also, do you have your lights flashing? I want to do mine, but I have to hook up a relay, because the alarm has +12v, when it actually grounds the wire to make the parking lights flash. I thought about hooking it up to the headlights, but I doubt it is good to have my HID's flashing. I think the thing that took the longest was putting in the actuators for the power locks. BTW, how many wires did your alarm have? Mine had 15 + 5 for power locks + 2 for starter kill, then the wires for the sensor/button/led.

DogP

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Didn't do the power locks. Have to buy the actuator kit since I didn't get them from the factory. Do that some other weekend. I have the advantage of having recently worked on my wiring so I knew where everything was. Biggest hassle is running wires between the cab and the engine bay. Last time around, I run a couple multi conductor cables so I had extra wires for any other toys I would want. Came in handy for the alarm. Since I yanked the stock air filter housing, I use that area for my wiring center. I've got an extra fuse block there so adding stuff like the alarm isn't too bad. Probably would have been twice as long if I didn't have all that done in advance.

I've got fog lights with built in marker lamps that have blue bulbs that are hooked to the alarm marker light output. You could run them to standard headlights, but you'd have to run a wire to energize your headlight relay. More work than it's worth, but that's my 2 cents.

BTW, mine had 21 wires, but not all were used.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yeah... I ran my siren wires through where my amp wire went through, which was a pain, but then I thought about why I was running both wires through, instead of just grounding it in the engine bay. So I ended up cutting the ground wire and removing it, but now, I want to run my wire for the hood pin switch, so there I go again... running the wire through again. GRRRR!!!! I'll probably end up running a couple of wires through there and tie them out of the way for later. Where did you mount your sensor, and did you have to adjust it at all??? I keep turning mine down, because it does the warning beep when my friend pulls up with his stereo on, when a Harley drives by, or when the UPS truck drives by. Also, where did you mount your LED? I haven't found a place that looks good... I'm thinking about maybe getting some blue leds and wiring the those up to it instead.

You should get the power locks though... it was really easy to wire up, the hardest part was mounting without interfering with the door panel, then getting the wire through the boot on the door. I got my actuators for $6 a piece. It is so much nicer, and it automatically locks and unlocks the doors when you start and turn off the truck.

DogP

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I left the LED tucked under the dash just for when I'm testing the system. I've got one of those Varad scanners mounted in the window to show when the system is armed. (these are pretty cool.) Varad Scanners Shop around though, the prices vary wildly on these. All you have to do is run power to it and then run the wire to activate it to the alarms engine kill output. Wire tucks nicely above the headliner and down the column cover.

The shock sensor is mounted behind the glove box by the BCM harness. Seems to work ok there, no false alarms yet. But then I haven't had someone thumping pull up by it yet :)

Probably do the locks some weekend coming up. Had them on my last car and I really miss em.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts