S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Got Snow?
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where would be the best place to mount the alarm module (since it has the antenna for the remotes) and the shock sensor?

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
any place under the dash or kick panels is fine. i have installed alot of them in various cars and i always put them as high up in the dash behind all the panels as i can. remember "the harder for you to mount it the harder for a theif to get it." but it won't stop them, just slow them down if they want it really bad.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Try to hide the brain as up in the dash and behind shit as possibe, and a good spot for the shock sensor is center and either low/high. Like a center console..

·
Registered
806 Posts
I always mount shock sensors right to the ignition wirring harness going up the steering column, and the brain as high up as possible when doing cutomers cars. When I did the alarm install on my s10, I actually put the relay pack for the alarm, and the 555L (passlock 2 bypass) way up in the dash.....like you have to pull the gauges out to get to it. As far as the rest of the alarm.....I have all of my modules (alarm brain, window automation brain, 451m) mounted on a sheet of abs, and its mounted in back of the glove box. Its hidden, but easy to get to when I want to add-on to my alarm. I have 2 shock sensors, one mounted under the dash on the ignition harness, the other in pass. side taillight. Also have a prox sensor located near the bcm.

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
i have 1 question. i understand the 2nd shock sensor on the truck bed since trucks are bad about bed protection. but why did you pick the pass. side tail light?
btw, i like the idea on behind the glove box. the ones i put in are pretty much right up behind the gauge clusters. only way to get them is pulling most of the driver side dash apart.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Seeing the shock sensor mounted inside the cab is on the drivers side, I put the one in the tailight on the passenger side to "even" it out. I'm sure in reality it doesnt make a difference, but it just made me feel better with a sensor located on each side of the truck instead of having both on one side. Mounting the stuff behind the glove box turned out to be a good idea, just alot of work. I also wired in a kill switch for the prox sensor on the abs in back of the glove box, that way I can turn that on and off whenever I want, and I dont have to worry about it going off when its raining. The other trick thing I did with the alarm, is I used 2 yellow ( I have a yellow xtreme) LED's instead of the red one. One LED is mounted in the plastic trim piece that goes around the handle to open the door inside the truck, facing down above the slide for the locks. Turned out to be the best alarm install I ever did.....just took a long time.....about 1.5 - 2 days to plan everything out, prewire, and install everything....and I'm an installer for a living.

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
it normally takes awhile to do that much trick stuff to an alarm and never seems to be a customer car.lol always test things out on mine first. (or "willing" friends :evilg:). yea, my truck is white/blue so i changed my red led for a hyper blue one. it can be seen further from the truck and through the limo tint as well. could hardly see that damn red one till i got right up on it. i like the idea for the kill switch for the prox sensor. is it the four wire plug? blue, red, green, black? did you use the + or - switch kill? i like - kill for things like that.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I used all DEI equipment in there, 554t alarm, so yes its standard blue, green, red, black. Im pretty sure I cut the ground and used that for the switch (used an extra kill switch from a 550esp)...this was getting close to the end of day 2 so I was getting pretty tried at this point...lol

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
dei is pretty good equipment. have had some experience w/ it. mostly around here we get alot of omega, code, marksman. but then all alarms are pretty much the same. it is the features and warranties that set them apart, as well as the install.

hey s10eric, sorry about whoring in your thread like this man.

·
Registered
170 Posts
How about a couple of kill swithes in different locations? Fuel pump, computer, lights, etc...?

·
Got Snow?
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help guys...and feel free to whore away.

·
Registered
370 Posts
im just gonna chime in here instead of open a new thread...

whats the best way to splice the wires in? Can I use those blue snap connectors?

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
i use blue, yellow, and red snap connectors(the ones like a clam shell). they don't cut the wires up and make good connections. the only wire i cut in that case is the starter wire for the relay

·
Registered
806 Posts
At my shop, all alarm work that rolls out of the bay is soldered and electrical taped. All remote starter work I just use t-taps except when dealing with passlock wires, or vats wires, those are soldered because the gauge of the wire.

When done CORRECTLY, either method is a secure connection. T-taps are alot easy and quicker to use than solder, thats why use use them on remote starters, alarms are soldered because using bulky plastic t-taps really doesnt help doing a stealth install, which is a big part in doing an alarm install.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts