S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing worse on air ride car then to have a hole on a bag. Really don't know why this happened. Been driving around for 3 months and I periodically take off the tires to check and clean the bags.

·
Completly Useless Truck
2,489 Posts
Thats a pretty knarly hole did something hit it? it appears to be a gouge. check for anything that could have possibly hit it.

·
On tha grind
3,060 Posts
looks like someone doesnt like you. looks stabbed to me?

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
Snafu Pimp said:
looks like someone doesnt like you. looks stabbed to me?

that may be, but the hole has kind of a "x" pattern to it, so I dont think someone stabbed it, they would have had to stab it twice.

That doesnt look good though bro, definetly got snagged on something. Those babies are what, $300 + each???

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Who makes those struts?

You can buy a bare bellowcheap andbolt in in yourself.

But takea pic of where it is mounted so we can look for a reason for the mark.

something had to hit it.

·
Day Dreamin
2,608 Posts
rgarjr said:
Nothing worse on air ride car then to have a hole on a bag. Really don't know why this happened. Been driving around for 3 months and I periodically take off the tires to check and clean the bags.

don't AIM use Firestone bellows? that does look like one f'd up hole though.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Nah, nothing hit it. Ive had the same problem with other bag struts. I think it may have to do with the volume of the bag being too small when the strut is inside it. It is the same size as a 2500, but it has the strut inside it so I think that may lower the weight capacity. My customer said his car was parked in his garage and when he got back to it on monday it lost the air on that side. Either way, the AIM strut used to use a firestone bare bellow so that would work. AIM also will warranty it. YES YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY for shipping and any other bullshit. We know that they try to make money any way possible, but either pay a little or pay alot. Its up to you. I usually get the bellow from them with the metal rings already installed. Sliding the ring over the bag is a real pain in the ass, but they charge like 30 bucks extra for it. You may want to discuss that with whoever you speak to. I remember there were two AIM guys on here that were trying to help out members from the forum so either go look for that thread of ask to speak to YURI or JOSH and tell them you remember them trying to help us out on here. BTW i just replaced that bag this past weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
What kind of car did you have those on. My customers car is a 98 camry. Also the bags themselves arent pricey, the complete strut is, so be carefull when you disassemble it so you dont ruin the shaft, crack one of the endplates or strip any of the endplate screws. Im talking from experience unfortunately. Ive used these struts on alot of cars.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So you're saying that just because the volume inside the bag is too small, its gonna blow a hole on it?

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Dry rot maybe?

·
Registered
74 Posts
i had a buddy blow 2 of the aim air struts they were warrantied both times but they charged him like 35 bones to ship it back each time just a bare bellow talk about bullship. his bags were older but weren't rubbing either. just another shaim tragedy i guess. oh yeah once it took like a month to get the bag from them they said they had to process it and all of this other bs

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess I need to switch my rear air struts to airlift. It sucks that the bags can blow a hole even when you're not rubbing or filling with high PSI.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think it is hit or miss. you may get a good bag or maybe a bad one. who knows. Change it out and see what happens. how long have they been on the car?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts