S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been wondering , With airbags how do you safely lift your truck on a 2 post service lift? You obviously dont want the weight of suspension hanging by your airbag bellows.

Any input?

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
not a problem, the front will hange by the factory bumpstop, so not a problem there, and the back, if you have a monoleaf, the leafs will help suport it. this is assuming you have shocks on it. If ya dont have any shocks on the back, I wouldnt do it.
with a four link, you will need shocks on
you probably wouldnt hurt a convulted bag, but a sleeve bag can pull apart.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have to look at my truck - i never noticed front bump stops... that was my biggest concern tho - cause the rear, I can just use some steel cable or something and wrap it around the frame and axle. or weld a tiny loop on the axle and frame and get a small peice of chain with hooks so i can just put i on and off fast

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Uhh..I dont think theres a problem at all..Youre not supposed to have air in the bags when you lift it up so I dump them all beforehand..then the front has upper bumpstops built into the upper control arms like 98layin said, and the rear is stopped by the shocks...

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
AVTekk said:
Uhh..I dont think theres a problem at all..Youre not supposed to have air in the bags when you lift it up so I dump them all beforehand..then the front has upper bumpstops built into the upper control arms like 98layin said, and the rear is stopped by the shocks...
I would have to say the opposite...just because of what i watched when i did that.

My truck was up on jack stands on the frame...at all 4 corners.
I let all the air outta the front bags, jacked up the control arms, let out the air again....so, the front bags had no air...and the control arms were completly compressed. So i let the jack down....and what happened??? As the control arm pulled the bag down, (mind you, the bag is bolted in place, top and bottom with SD cups), the bag started to implode and the rubber was being sucked in, and the bag was makin funky shapes.

I would say, air up the front of the truck with about 30 PSI or so, then lift the truck, then dump the air....

As far as the back.... just get some tie down straps rated at a couple hundred pounds, and wrap them around the frame and the axle, (or bridge and axle, or bridge and notch), and do the same...air it up with about 30 psi, lift the truck, then air it out.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Thats what I said...when the truck is on the lift, it obviously cant air all the way down. So I air it down onto the lift, then lift the truck up and let the reat out..I guess maybe I didnt specify that..

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool, thanks guys, i need to look at the front of my truck still... dont know what you mean yet

·
ALMOST DONE
1,422 Posts
y cant you have it aired up when using a lift...i got ss rs72s with a 4 link and shocks in the back and i just drove onto the lift and put it up..y do i have to let the air out??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts