S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Big Red Fire
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a question...im thinking of replacing my current steeering wheel with and aftermakert (cooler) one. however ,my father, states that i will have a problem when the airbag goes off in my face i was like nah that aint gonna happen. then i started to think (wut if it does...) so is there anything i should partcularly do when removing the steering wheel with airbag? the help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
222 Posts
When remiving the air bag all you have to do to do it safely is disconect the negative battery terminal. Then it wont go off.

Also more than likely the air bag will come off separately from the steering wheel. When you remove the covers over the steering column there should be four bolts holding the air bag to the steering wheel. Remove the four bolts and disconnect the air bag connector. Then remove the big nut that holds the steering wheel on. before removing the steering wheel, make sure that the wheels are pointing straight and that the steering wheel is centered. More than likely there will be a cable reel that is also part of the air bag system. It is what allows the steering wheel to turn with out tangling the wires to the airbag. You might have to remove that cable reel and un run the wires.

It should not be that hard. On all the SRS systems that I have worked on, all the SRS parts are yellow. Obviously keep all the old air bag parts. Also note that some systems are matched sets (driver and passenger bags, cable reel, and computer) and can not be interchanged into another truck with out installing the whole set. Lastly, you should know that when you pull the drivers airbag, the passenger side will not work either.

·
24HR Reflector Collector
316 Posts
after you disconnect the battery you also have to wait 10-15 minutes because the airbag system will store voltage for a certain amount of time so it can still go off.

·
24HR Reflector Collector
316 Posts
also if you were to get into an accident with an aftermarket sterring wheel i think theres some kind of fine or something cause you took away saftey from the vehicle. im not sure tho, but thats what im told

1 - 5 of 5 Posts