S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a trailer at work so I got under it and took some pics ;)

looks like a 2-link and 2 valve setup ;) lol
no side side.

and would you trust that air tank? ha ha

Just found this interesting and wanted to share.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
joeysDYME said:
....and sharing is caring..:monkeypee heres a little something for ya..:D
lol.. gee um thanks :dunno:
:p

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
joeysDYME said:
you are welcome..:popcorn:
wow that reminds me .. I could go for some popcorn.. hmmmmm..

brb.

·
Low -n- slow s10
420 Posts
whos gonna be the first one to put those bags on a dime? :rotf:

·
2LO4BC
2,859 Posts
im an apprentise transport mechanic and i work on these stupid things all day...noting fancy really. peterbilts really just use a 2 link air leaf with a panhard bar...the newer kenworths 700, 800 and 900's have a pretty cool looking 3 link wishbone suspension with 4 bags per axle.
on trailers its just a 2 link. most trailers have an air tank for each axle that feeds the bags and brake pods. its actually pretty interesting to know how everything works. air enters the service side of the brake pod, releasing the spring presure, pushing the push rod out to twist the slack adjuster which rotates the s-cam which spreads the brake shoes out inside the drum.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lowriderbowtie said:
im an apprentise transport mechanic and i work on these stupid things all day...noting fancy really. peterbilts really just use a 2 link air leaf with a panhard bar...the newer kenworths 700, 800 and 900's have a pretty cool looking 3 link wishbone suspension with 4 bags per axle.
on trailers its just a 2 link. most trailers have an air tank for each axle that feeds the bags and brake pods. its actually pretty interesting to know how everything works. air enters the service side of the brake pod, releasing the spring presure, pushing the push rod out to twist the slack adjuster which rotates the s-cam which spreads the brake shoes out inside the drum.
That is cool must be fun to use some 'realy' big tools of the industry!

It took the truck a good 2 min to let the trailer down lol and forever for the tractor to raise back up ha ha. but still cool.

·
The other "BODY" man
6,277 Posts
soooooooooooooooo,

what that little sticker basically says::

if the air bags are low, or blown then you can't use the trailer!!!!

so if you're driving along with that trailer and **bam** a bag blows,, you're screwd!

you have to pull over and replace it???

I remember one guy on here got a ticket for his air suspension and the cop said

(female cop I might add) you don't have a back up suspension?

so she wrote him the ticket!

So what's different from that damn trailer!~

And I'll guarantee that trailer weighs more than our trucks empty!!!!

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fauker said:
soooooooooooooooo,

what that little sticker basically says::

if the air bags are low, or blown then you can't use the trailer!!!!

so if you're driving along with that trailer and **bam** a bag blows,, you're screwd!

you have to pull over and replace it???

I remember one guy on here got a ticket for his air suspension and the cop said

(female cop I might add) you don't have a back up suspension?

so she wrote him the ticket!

So what's different from that damn trailer!~

And I'll guarantee that trailer weighs more than our trucks empty!!!!
lol great points!!! I am going to keep those pics in my truck so when I get pulled over for my bags ;)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Thats interesting, I've always wanted to know how the air suspension in big rigs works/looks. But whats the link attached to the shock do?

How much weight can those bags support? It would seem with such a heavy vehicle, they would have the bags behind the axle for greater load bearing capabilities instead of on top of the axle. They don't have to worry about ride height since it should only be at one height.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
scott750 said:
Thats interesting, I've always wanted to know how the air suspension in big rigs works/looks. But whats the link attached to the shock do?

How much weight can those bags support? It would seem with such a heavy vehicle, they would have the bags behind the axle for greater load bearing capabilities instead of on top of the axle. They don't have to worry about ride height since it should only be at one height.
I think the thing on the shock is a ride height sensor. on a pivit with a switch. not shure.
the support weight of those bags is HUGE!! :haha: mounted anywhare on the axle is the same. on top makes the most sense for this app. on the tractor some are mounted behind.

·
Registered
158 Posts
lowriderbowtie said:
Well on my W900L it has sort of a offset 4link on both drive axle's and mine isn't a newer model but i have the quad air spring ride pacakage on it!Kenworth offered it as a upgradeable option!Also all trailers dont have a 2link!Some have 4links under them just like the High Arch Benson Alum.flatbed i got!Being these trailers are all Alum. includeing the frame and the frame most likely cracks from stress right in front of the front spread they have added a more flexable suspension under them to help prevent this!

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
orangesonoma said:
pics? where they go?
they will be back they are on break lol :haha:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm not sure what the spring rate is on them but my tractor/trailer wih full tanks me in it and with all my stuff and equipment scales at 32000lbs.And i can legally haul 48000lbs so thats 80000lbs and when i bought my trailer being it has a Alum.frame the max.load cap. was rated at 74000lbs but the dealer said anything over 54000 and the frame is going to break but now the heavy haul guys pull 100,000lbs+!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts