S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.2 and i would like to upgrade the intake. I heard that if you just have a 90 degree elbow and a cone filter and if any water gets splashed on it your pretty much dead. is this true?

I have 3 options
1. factory replacement K&N filter for $40
2. 90 degre elbow with cone intake for $50 on ebay
3. K&N FI unit for $240

I don't really want to spend $240 bucks but what would you pick?

thanks
brian

·
"rolling BareIsm"
78 Posts
go to home depot and pick out some pvc they have 45 and 90 degree elbows. then go to walmart and get some rv couplings for like 3-5 bucks. get a filter and you are set. My intake sits 3" off the ground and cost me $50 over all. the pvc components i got at home depot cost $30.45. and that left alot of PVC to play with. good luck!!!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Class6GodFather said:
go to home depot and pick out some pvc they have 45 and 90 degree elbows. then go to walmart and get some rv couplings for like 3-5 bucks. get a filter and you are set. My intake sits 3" off the ground and cost me $50 over all. the pvc components i got at home depot cost $30.45. and that left alot of PVC to play with. good luck!!!
have any pictures? we'd love to see them.

NM went to members rides. Nice set up. slap some paint on it though :D

do you have one of these? "AEM’s Air Bypass valve for Cold Air Intake Systems totally eliminated the unlikely chance of water ingestion should the filter element become wet from deep puddles, rain, hail. Sleet or snow – or any other submerged in water. The valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe on the same axis as the throttle body centerline. Should a drop in pressure occur within the pipe, the valve shuts down induction at the filter and routes incoming air through the valve’s external orifices, elimination any chance of water ingestion."

·
"rolling BareIsm"
78 Posts
no i don't, usually just jumped it up to the top elbow which is how i have it now till i cut it back some

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so in basic terms.... about the possibility of water making contact with the filter if it is below the vehicle like class6godfather or if it is where the air box was. is there any risk

·
"rolling BareIsm"
78 Posts
you mean the air temp sensor, I just cut a slit in one of rubber 90 degree elbows i got, how ever one could drill a hole in the PVC and use a grommetor rubberized coating to secure it.

·
UAH By-product
1,092 Posts
When I get around to it I'm just gonna get the K&N. Its alot of money, but it comes with all the spray and all that bs stuff you gotta have to reuse the cone filter. Plus it'll look alot better under the hood. Personal opinion of course. Don't flame me :)

Brad

·
Registered
697 Posts
class6, i'm going to do almost the same as you but i'm gonna use a stock airbox to make a ram air set up and tuck it behind the airdam

·
Registered
110 Posts
i don't want to sound like a punk but i would check the emissions laws where your from cause they can fall you for that up here by me

·
"rolling BareIsm"
78 Posts
militar liscenced in GA, cant be any sweater than that... but it is still going to be a problem when i get out.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't car about the emission crap. I am in MI
But none of this answer my quetion about water!

·
Ole skule VW nut
378 Posts
I'll try to answer your water question. If water hits the filter, you are okay. They can get wet. The problem begins, if the filter becomes submerged under water, and the engine sucks water up into the intake, and into itself. Obviously water does not compress/burn, so then you are toast.

Are you so low, or are you driving so low that you run the risk of submerging your intake in puddles? If so, then just get an under hood intake, not one that places the filter low under the truck. Power gains are different, but you don't have to worry about water ingestion.

HTH

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks kirk thats exactly what i wanted to know. I am not sure what filter setup i will use yet

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
does doing this fcuk up the warrenty? sorry for jackin thread :D im just wondering cuz i wanna do this too so yea..

·
SNAUSBERRIES!!!!
194 Posts
If you were to install a cold air intake and water did get sucked up into the engine then dont plan on them replacing the engine, because they will certainly pull the spark plugs and see that it was hydrolocked... hydrolock sucks, my friend built his 92 Mustang 5.0 with a brand new engine, GT-40 Heads and intake manifold, headers, flowmaster exhaust, and hydrolocked it 2 weeks later from going through a deep puddle during a storm, sucked water up through the CAI, and bent a connecting rod :doh:

-Ben

·
Registered
603 Posts
When you built it, just make sure that the filter stays in the engine compartment (Above the frame). Then built a heat shield around it. There was a thread in here some months back. If you really need more cold air into the filter area, then endlarge the hole in the radiator support or make a deflector under the the bumper area to direct air towards the filter. This will keep water out.

·
UAH By-product
1,092 Posts
You could just get a ram air hood. Same result if not better and then you won't have to worry about the water problem unless you flip upside down in a pubble or you try and turn your truck into an arc. Surely t hey make a ram air style hood for our trucks. I think I've even seen a few. Then again, you could put the stock airbox in and get a few APC window decals. They should give you enough horsepower boost to compensate for the stock airbox.

Brad

·
"rolling BareIsm"
78 Posts
i know of 2 ram air styled hoods but both are non funtional but a dremel and some sheet metal fixes that. however these hoods are at 600 and up in the green section so if it is budget perfomance you are going for then show some creativity and go old school. just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 21 Posts