S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend's mom has a 99 4cyl extreme that isn't running. I don't have much info, but I was wondering if anyone here knows what may be wrong. Here's what I know:
-Turns over but won't start
-I don't hear a fuel pump when turning the ignition on, but fuel comes out of the shreder valve when turning the motor over if the button is pushed in. (Don't know if that's only the V6's if you hear them)
-When turning over, A LOT of air is being pushed through the coolant system. It can be seen in the overflow bottle and felt EASILY with the cap off.

I don't know if there's spark, and she said it wasn't overheating, but the coolant is lower than I've ever seen in any truck recently running.

I think it's something serious with the compression passing into the coolant system, but I was wondering if that's something kind of common and if anyone has an idea if it's a headgasket/craked head?

Thanks in advance.

·
is a fungineer
6,108 Posts
Head gasket, minimum.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you two. I'm considering trying to help them out by attempting to fix it. I've built 2 chevy v8's (1 350 and 1 454), replaced the spider injection on my s10's V6, and intake manifold gaskets, so I'm not totally incompitent, but I have never worked on this motor.

The funny part is that there doesn't seem to be any water in the oil as it doesn't look a bit milky or anything. The radiator is either half way full or less...and just a little bit in the reserve canister. I was hoping this would mean I wouldn't have to tear down the bottom end and only take off the head and have it inspected. Is that cutting too much of a corner?

Her mechanic told her that a headgasket would be $1,300, but a "new" motor would be $1,900...does that sound right? (I've never had this type of work done at a shop before to compare)

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts