S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Getting faster
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've seen plenty of mags test different air fitler assemblies on carbed motors.

Basically, what I've seen, use the flattest base you can possible, and the tallest fitler you can get away with.

But, the only fitlers I've ever seen uses have been the standard round, and 14" diameters.

How do you think a smaller diameter, round filter would compare to a 14" one, both being the same height?

Or an oval filter?

I've got very limited space on my truck. My motors set back, and with the high intake I have, I could only get way with maybe 2" filter and a drop base. I want a flat base, and atleast a 4" filter.

I was thinking of maybe a 9 or even a 7" diameter fitler, or even an oval one. Turn the oval sideways, so the widest part is extending towards the valve covers.

Problem is the back 3 " or so of my harwood cowl hood is just as low as the firewall cowl on my 94. Im leaning towards an oval fitler like this one,

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...52+4294904136+4294815142+215+115&autoview=sku

Im thinking that with it being mounted sideways, and right against the back of the cowl, it'll get more cooler air since its pretty much extending across the cowl opening.

Any thoughts?

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
wont affect HP if it's a K&N if it ws paper maybe but with a K&N you wont see any difference w/ a 3"-4"-5" oval or circle..

·
turbo v8 s10
153 Posts
this is how i made mine it made one hell of a difference even more when it was hot out i think it is bad when you do'nt have out side air going in the motor. has any one else checked to see how hot it gets under the hood? it is verry hot/

Attachments

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
your comparing cold air to a filter...He didn't ask that... filter shape wont make a HP difference...Cold air duhhh yes it's gona make a big difference

·
Registered
471 Posts
a couple of years ago carcraft did an article on power with airfilters they tested about 5 or 6 different combos and found about 7 HP between all of them i can give you the exact date and issue number if you want it let me know. Also if you want a oval air cleaner ive got one for sale with matching valve covers check it out on the classifieds

·
Getting faster
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
v8turboblazer said:
if you have a harwood you should alott of room i have a vic jr and i had like 6 or7 in
V8, you also have a 1st gen truck. I never paid much attention, until I had a 2nd gen truck. I have my 1st gen blazer sitting right next to my 2nd gen truck, and the firewall is almost flat compared to my 2nd gen.

The 2nd gens, the top of the firewall/cowl sticks out a lot. Id say maybe like 5 " compared to the back of hte firewall.

You can see in your 1st pic, the back of your cowl hood. You can see the bottom of where the the mesh is. When the hoods closed, that part of the hood seals agains the edge of the cowl. That part is what is limiting my filter clearance.

Not to mention, my motor is sitting back like 3" compared to where it was sitting in my blazer.

So you did notice a difference making the cowl functional? I was thinking bout doing the same, very similar to how yours is. And even thought about opening the back of the cowl up some. I didn't know if only the 2.5" cowl would feed enough for the motor or not.

·
IMBLOWN
977 Posts
Not to whore post, but that airbox is swweeeeeeeet....

p.s I cut the back inner layer out of my harwood hood for 14" air cleaner clearance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts