S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone help me out with selecting an air dryer for use with a media blasting cabinet ?

I understand that you need completely dry air for painting, but unclear what I can use for media blasting to avoid "clumping".

The air dryers seem to vary considerably in cost and configuration (like $50 to over $500).

Thanks for any guidance and would appreciate a specific recommendation.

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
I ended up making my own. i used a transmission cooler and built a fan shroud for additional cooling. cant condense hot air but this setup brings the inlet air temp from the compressor head from 300ºF to room temp. this condenses quite a bit of water, yet you still need quite a bit of flow through a water trap to separate, so i added another one down stream after the regulator to catch the rest since the air is nice and chilled.
null_zps88ac30e5 by Jonathan Rios, on Flickr

null_zpsfe25a66c by Jonathan Rios, on Flickr

the water trap i have here has a normally open bowl drain. so when the compressor reaches the pressure switch shutoff it bleeds off the air in the system between the head and the check valve at the top of the tank. when the pressure reaches 5 psi the bowl drain opens and dumps the water. during humid days i have actually had to manually drain the bowl due to it filling 100% with water. thats under continuous use though for 15 minutes or more. we also did a similar setup at a buddies house using an A/C condenser from an s10. i ended up using power steering return hose due to the high temps from the air.
Untitled by Jonathan Rios, on Flickr

i used to have problems with my tools freezing up if i used them (in cold weather outside). ice would buildup on the exhaust due to my water problem. now there is absoluetley no noticeable water coming from the exhaust during extended use. also my plasma cutter is happy too :)

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up making my own. i used a transmission cooler and built a fan shroud for additional cooling........
the water trap I have here has a normally open bowl drain. so when the compressor reaches the pressure switch shutoff it bleeds off the air in the system between the head and the check valve at the top of the tank. when the pressure reaches 5 psi the bowl drain opens and dumps the water. during humid days i have actually had to manually drain the bowl due to it filling 100% with water. that's under continuous use though for 15 minutes or more. ..... also my plasma cutter is happy too :)
Very impressive. I actually have an extra trans cooler and a bath vent fan that I can configure along with a water trap, so I'll put something together similar and give it a try. Thanks !

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
A fan isn't really nesscesary but would be extra capacity for summer months. Winter time the setup without a fan worked fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts