S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
curious as to who would make one around 12 ' stroke...want to use them in the rear in a mission to get more power to the ground and height cus using a cantilever seems to be too soft...

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
Getting power to the ground won't be resolved with getting stiffer suspension components (as stiff as cylinders anyhow). You need a properly built 4 link. Why not try a lever setup with 224c bags?? or try putting F9000 bag behind the axle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my buddy lever setup is too soft....he gets bout 14 inches of lift...unless he is pretty much all the way up,the ass end will drag...alot when at all low,when he accelerates from a lite and its a stock 4.3...i had my bags behind my axle b4 wit a modified gen 1 kit...haha...wit 2b6...and the only way id usually get it is if i had lotsa air in it...like 200 psi!!!
maybe i jus got too much power for the softness of bags??? i dont like the sounds of that....

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
or you don't have a setup made for power :thumbup:

I can barely read what you typed, so let me make it clear to ya....
you need a properly setup 4 link if you want to put power down. That is the key. A lever setup with 224c bags will handle the same as a behind the axle setup with F9000 sleeve bags. Will ride the same, and will act the same under different conditions if installed on the same setup. If you still don't understand, maybe someone else can explain it a lil better.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
luvinitlow said:

maybe i jus got too much power for the softness of bags???
No that's not it. Trust me. My dad's street rod has firestone F7076 bags on the rear of it, they are the bags that come in a S10 air over leaf kit. They are rated at 800# at 100 psi, about half of an F9000, and about a third of a 2b6 or 255c. And when he had a blown 327 in it, it would launch with the front wheels up waist high. with 35- 45 psi in the bags. Now with a 300 hp crate motor, it still launches hard... only lifting one wheel a couple inches. It's not the bags that are your problem, it is the rest of the suspension. As you add air to the bags, you are lifting the truck, and changing the operating parameters of the fourlink.

·
weatherman
2,159 Posts
luvinitlow said:
my buddy lever setup is too soft....he gets bout 14 inches of lift...unless he is pretty much all the way up,the ass end will drag...alot when at all low,when he accelerates from a lite and its a stock 4.3...i had my bags behind my axle b4 wit a modified gen 1 kit...haha...wit 2b6...and the only way id usually get it is if i had lotsa air in it...like 200 psi!!!
maybe i jus got too much power for the softness of bags??? i dont like the sounds of that....
if i can decipher it correctly, i think what you're talking about is axle wrap. i've had 2 setups on my truck. the first was a lever setup. i got about 10-12" of lift out of it. i had the same problem though. if i was relatively low in the rear, i couldn't take off fast because the rear would slam into the ground. i took that setup off and went with a forward triangulated 4 link with over the axle bags. now i have no wheel hop or axle wrap. you really need a properly setup 4 link. thats what will solve everything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok then...cuz i am tryin to figure out my best way to go about it...but thanx guys..u gave me more confidence in my bags..now i jus need to decide exactly how to build this one...i got a few ideas that i hav never seen before...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts