S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I post over on the cz28.com board all the time and noticed those guys got an option for aftermarket 12 bolts or a moser 9 bolt. Are there any kind of aftermarket rears for the s10s like this? Also what about a 8.5 rear and where could i get a rear end like this? What vehicles offer this besides the GN?

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
Supposedly a few S series came with an 8.5" rear factory installed but it's pretty rare. Curry or DTS sell complete 12 bolt and 9" rears to fit any application. You can also beef up the stock rear but if you want to make 400+ hp you should go with the 9" for durability. We broke an 8.5 in a 450 hp monza three times (car ran high 10's low 11's) You shold be able to find a 9" or 12 bolt and have it narrowed to fit your truck cheaper than buying complete assy.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
We have built S-10's with over 550hp and I have have never seen a stock 7 5/8 S-10 rear end break.
I have seen people swap them out for a Camro rear end and break those though.

·
Registered
486 Posts
currie 9 inch is cheaper than the 12 bolt.it will bolt right in. yeah if you hook off the line. it is only a matter of time before it breaks.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
My truck is around 400hp, I run slicks on it with the stock 3:42 rear end, I haven't had any problems yet, and it hooks real well on the street with drag radials, and real well at the track with slicks.
Like I said, I haven't seen one break yet, has anyone else?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Although my truck has had the 4.3, I have never had any trouble with the rear end, and thwe truck is fairly quick and I don't baby it on the street either. I guess I should find out how stout the rearend is now that the LS-1 stroker install is about complete.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
doesnt moser make axels for our rears? Add those a better set of gears and a girdle on that shouldnt have any problems no matter what.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was thinking of getting a girdle for the rear i have now and with my posi and some 3.73 gears im thinking it will hold up.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
there's a lot of S-10s with 10 bolt 8.5" rear ends. most ZR2's, i think some ZQ8's have them, even some regular 4x4 trucks do.

·
LT1 Powered
2,467 Posts
You'll Find the 8.5 rear on the newer 4.3 5 speed equipped trucks

·
Registered
321 Posts
97 SS 350 said:
My truck is around 400hp, I run slicks on it with the stock 3:42 rear end, I haven't had any problems yet, and it hooks real well on the street with drag radials, and real well at the track with slicks.
Like I said, I haven't seen one break yet, has anyone else?

Stock 7 1/2 w/welded spiders- Snapped teeth on pinion gear

Stock 7 1/2 w/ Auburn posi- Learned how many small parts they have in them.Also,killed a new set of Richmond gears.

Stock 7 1/2 w/ welded spiders-Snapped axle right behind the splines.This happened on the starting line.Shot the axle out and set the truck on the South Side bars.1.54 60' times that day.

Trust me if you make power and get traction you will break it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts