S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so years ago I bought a used tranny for my '84 S-10. This 5spd replaced my 4spd with only one problem, the speedo hook-up! My speedo is a mechanical (cable driven) type, but the "new" tranny has an electronic speedo hook-up. It never was a problem (other than the odo not working), until now. I moved to New York and need the speedo to pass inspection. Is there an after market speedo that will hook-up to the tranny or work in some other way for me? Or am I stuck finding another tranny with the correct speedo hook-up? Or worse still, swapping my dash! All time and MONEY saving ideas are requested!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a thread in the 60v6 forum about this same problem and one guy said it might be possible to swap the sending unit on the tranny with a mechanical one. Does anybody know if this is possible?

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I'm not real sure on this, but I think these guys have something
that might help. They do KILLER gage restoration and know
all the tricks. I know many of the top end rod builders use these
guys..Maybe you can ask em. They've been around Riverside
for 20 yrs or more..They would have an idea how to hook ya up.

www.speedometershop.com

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, bg's!! I did e-mail them with my question about the swap of the sending unit. They responded quite promptly with a solution concerning a $317 part that will convert the electronic signal to a mechanical one for my speedo! To bad my budget for this project is about $20!!

I could get a used tranny with the right hook up for half of the cost they quoted. But you were right... they did have a solution to my problem. Worth an e-mail tho!

·
Registered
709 Posts
just wondering but if the new tranny is eletronic i would go get a cheap autozone speedo and hook it up eletronically....

Jay

There has to be a cheaper soluation then that i have seen some thing in like jegs and summit for that same thing...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I had thought of that, but I wasn't sure if would need a VSS and an ECM just to get the speedo to work. I've tried looking at JCWhitney for a speedo, and they are few and far between and rather expensive. I'll give the local autozone a call and see what they can think of, but the local Napa guy had no clue. I did find a used 4spd with the right hook-up locally, but at a cost of $100 and the ordeal of selling my tranny. I guess I'm just being lazy...

I'm still trying to find just the speed sending unit to see if that will work. If anybody knows where to find one, let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts