S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The factory gauges in these trucks are pretty horrible, most OEM gauges are. So I'm in the process of installing aftermarket gauges for oil psi, coolant temp, and volts (triple gauge set). I'm going to go ahead and use a GlowShift oil filter sandwich adapter for the oil psi sensor. And well, volts are simple enough, but I'm trying to find the best location for the aftermarket coolant temp sensor in my 94 S10 with 2.2l.

Is there a pre-tapped location on the block somewhere?

Should I use the factory location under the t-stat housing? Will that throw a CEL if it does not see the OEM sensor? What is the thread size and pitch for the OEM sensor?

Or should I go ahead and use one of those sensor housing that installs in line with the upper radiator hose going to the t-stat housing?

Been searching in multiple different forums on this site, as well as Google searching. Maybe my search parameters are too specific, I don't know but I just keep finding people wanting to get their factory dummy gauge working.

Any info would be great, thanks.

·
It's a 4. something
3,977 Posts
I'm not too familiar with 94's. Do you have a 2 wire or 3 wire stock sensor on the engine?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not too familiar with 94's. Do you have a 2 wire or 3 wire stock sensor on the engine?
3 wire stock sensor, last night I replaced the sensor, and thermostat with OEM parts. I then grounded the plug on the sensor harness and witnessed the temp gauge peg to full hot. Also witnessed the thermostat working and the coolant moving through the system. As well as my heater being blisteringly hot when I was trying to burp the system after the thermostat install.

With key on gauge needle moves to the first line, and I've witnessed it a few times hit the third line but almost instantly drop to the first line as I assume the thermostat is opening up. So, that's what I've done so far.

·
It's a 4. something
3,977 Posts
The 3 wire unit is a sending unit / sensor combo. A sending unit is a single wire, a sensor has 2 wires. That device is both in one. The 2 wire sensor goes to the PCM so that it knows what the engine temp is. The other wire is the sending unit that goes straight to the gauge.

So goo the single gauge wire up to whatever you want but DO NOT remove the 2 wires to the PCM or else it will have no idea at all how much fuel to give it because. The engine temp to the PCM is used in a lot of critical engine run formulas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 3 wire unit is a sending unit / sensor combo. A sending unit is a single wire, a sensor has 2 wires. That device is both in one. The 2 wire sensor goes to the PCM so that it knows what the engine temp is. The other wire is the sending unit that goes straight to the gauge.

So goo the single gauge wire up to whatever you want but DO NOT remove the 2 wires to the PCM or else it will have no idea at all how much fuel to give it because. The engine temp to the PCM is used in a lot of critical engine run formulas.
OK good to know, where is a good place to tap an aftermarket coolant temp sensor then?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'll just keep this updated for others who are interested. Does not seem that with all the owners of s10's in the world nobody knows how to or where to install an aftermarket coolant temp sensor. I decided to go the coolant temp radiator hose adapter. Since it needs to be placed before the thermostat I'll be installing it in the lower hose that goes into the rad, figured this would be best as it will give me temps of the engine before the coolant is cooled in the rad. No reason to honestly know what the temp is after the thermostat unless you want to see how well your rad system is doing. Despite the factory coolant temp being in the thermostat housing before the thermostat so it's reading temps after the rad has cooled a bit. I'll update once I have it installed, and hopefully with pics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 95 S10 and had to replace the sending unit because the co ke. The old one had 3wire hook up the new one has two wires which wire do i elimanate

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 95 S10 and had to replace the sending unit because the connector broke. The old one had 3wire hook up the new one has 2 wire which wire do I not use yellow green black

·
Been there Done it
7,107 Posts
2 wires go to the computer to tell it what the engine temperature is. The third is to the gauge. If the computer isn't getting the correct info the engine will run terrible and likely be hard to start wen warmed up.
If it was 3 wires to start with, both the sender and connector need to be 3 wires after you "fix it".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts