S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 3rd owner of a 1982 s10 1.9 l 4 cyl
With 51000 mile on it. It is crap for hp. Thinking about swapping the engine and transmission. I don’t want to spend a ton of money. I also don’t want to spend a ton of time want it to be as basic and simply as it already is. Does anyone have any experience or recommendation or list of what I should look for. Thanks for you help
John

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,255 Posts
Moved to V8 Discussion.

Start by reading the stickies.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well I would say to keep it simple you could just sell it and by a 4.3l s10. Another basic choice would be to get a parts vehicle with stock 4.3l and swap over everything. Dash, wiring harness, computer, everything.

·
Boozebag
9,316 Posts
51K miles is very low mileage for an '82. What kind of power do you want to achieve?
For about $250 you could do a Weber conversion which would give you a noticeable improvement in overall performance and power.
It's an easy 3 hour job for someone who has never done it before. It usually results in improved fuel mileage too.
A larger exhaust is also easy and not expensive. A cat back system usually helps with power improvement.

These 2 improvements usually make the Isuzu 1.9 a much better performer, and they are not labor intensive like an engine swap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Th
51K miles is very low mileage for an '82. What kind of power do you want to achieve?
For about $250 you could do a Weber conversion which would give you a noticeable improvement in overall performance and power.
It's an easy 3 hour job for someone who has never done it before. It usually results in improved fuel mileage too.
A larger exhaust is also easy and not expensive. A cat back system usually helps with power improvement.

These 2 improvements usually make the Isuzu 1.9 a much better performer, and they are not labor intensive like an engine swap.

Thank you for your help I will definitely look into doing that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts