S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 s10 that is my daily driver i mearly wanna make it a little bit more powerfull than it is. i have it fully strate piped and other than that its stack. I was wondering what i can do to it to get fairly substatial gains. i have explored my cheap easy options such as the hypertech chip. i am open to any sugestions. I have enough automotive experience to do most anything to it and i have had this truck stipped to the frame before so i know it inside and out.

·
Sometimes I'm mean...alot
1,348 Posts
First thing to do...put a muffler back on it. The loss of back-pressure in your already weak 4.3 is not going to help make any power, it'll just help you lose more.

·
General L33
1,950 Posts
First thing to do...put a muffler back on it. The loss of back-pressure in your already weak 4.3 is not going to help make any power, it'll just help you lose more.
lol, he's 100% correct. You can do all the normal add ons, open air cleaner element, intake, headers, cam, chip, electric fan, etc..

What's your definition of affordable? Is the truck tuned up and running properly?

One not so easy but cheap thing to do is change the rear out to a better gear ratio. Do you know what you have now? you can grab a rear from the junkyard pretty cheaply and swap it out so you don't have to set up gears. That will help with any other mods you do to the truck.

·
detwoitwanksta
100 Posts
this would help, just a little boost...

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol, he's 100% correct. You can do all the normal add ons, open air cleaner element, intake, headers, cam, chip, electric fan, etc..

What's your definition of affordable? Is the truck tuned up and running properly?

One not so easy but cheap thing to do is change the rear out to a better gear ratio. Do you know what you have now? you can grab a rear from the junkyard pretty cheaply and swap it out so you don't have to set up gears. That will help with any other mods you do to the truck.

Yes the truck is up and running just fine and affordable about 1500 to 2000 is wat i wanna put into it myabe a little more i have no clue wat i have in the rear rite now but i do wanna do a lsd or maybe a locker unsure yet... and also unsure on wat gear ratio i would use

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also i have looked at doing a cam but just on sure wat spec i should use .... also wat intake i should get i saw on another thred something about eldelbrock having one but he had to do a throttel body conversion do they make one that fits a throttel body already

·
WICKED 6 RACING
2,189 Posts
Being a 89 all you have to do is buy Edelbrock's TBI intake. Call comp tell then what you have and what you wanna do and they'll cut you a custom one. You'll have to get a custom chip depending on the cam you go with . Chips are relatively cheap and easy to install

·
Bold as Love
1,869 Posts
You could put some 96 and up Vortec heads on it, a Edelbrock intake for a carb or to put your TBI back on, and a cam. This is what I'm considering doing for my '88.

·
Posting From My iPhone 4
224 Posts
What would the Benefit be of putting vortec heads on an 89? I got a 89 4.3 as well and am in the market for new heads but I didn't realize you could just throw the 96+ heads on and bolt up.

·
Registered
382 Posts
What would the Benefit be of putting vortec heads on an 89? I got a 89 4.3 as well and am in the market for new heads but I didn't realize you could just throw the 96+ heads on and bolt up.
the newer heads flow better and allow for more power to be made with other mods too. the heads will bolt up to the older 4.3 block but you will need a different intake like an Edelbrock intake.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,047 Posts
More specifically the Edelbrock p/n 2114.

96+ 4.3 heads will out flow a set of ported TBI heads. the 01+ heads got roller rockers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok that all sounds good the heads headers cam i will for sure go ahead and do but now wat cam do you guys recomend cause i dnt even know where to start when it comes to a cam like wat kins of lobe lift and overlap should i look for

·
General L33
1,950 Posts
Do a search for the vortec head swap, I'm sure someone's done it and it contains all the info you need.

A lot of guys are running the comp cams 270HR cam. If you really wanted the best bang for your buck and just not a slow, hot sounding engine, I'd call the cam manufacturer, tell them EXACTLY what you have and EXACTLY what you plan to do with it. It may not be the meanest sounding cam that they recommend, but it'll definitely work and might even have you showing the lopey engines your tail lights. Most of the time a lopey cam just means that your power band is raised, most of the time to unusable rpms, especially with a stock bottom end.

I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned this, but for the amount of money you're going to invest, you could about do a V8 swap and have a better foundation for later mods that we're discussing now..

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,047 Posts
the 270 cam works great with factory internals.

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
btw, if anyone needs a set of 01 heads that come stock w/ roller rockers i think* ;) i'm your man. shipping might be a bitch though, i'm in washington. lol

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,047 Posts
I have a ported set of 97 heads with LS1 behive springs, and a stock set of 03 heads...

But no 4.3... sad

·
"factory freak"...
8,604 Posts
its not the loss of backpressure that will hurt low end power,
but rather the too short tuning lenght for the exh. system...

exhaust backpressure does NOT help engines make more power...
unless the backpressure is from a turbocharger...:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts