S-10 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Dirt Farmer
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hoping I can finish some testing and get a cover on and possibly a spoiler? Got auto cross races in town next weekend. It probably wouldn't make any difference either way since I've got a tired motor and an open diff. All in the name of fun though.

Any advice on spoilers? Something that could be fabbed up relatively quickly...

·
I turn.
2,567 Posts
There are thousands of mods I would do to be faster at auto-x before I bothered with aero. If you made the spoiler out of lead to get some weight over the rear wheels it would help 100 times more than the aero advantage. You'll likely never get over 40 mph in an average auto-x event.

The sy in the pic above has the spoiler mounted high up because in order to make them effective, they need to be in laminar air flow. The flow near the bed is turbulent, so a spoiler will be completely ineffective down there. The spoiler on the Dodge Ram 'Daytona' is so high for the same reason (believe it or not, it is actually functional). In order for it to be functional it'll have to look ridiculous.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,190 Posts
JustanSS auto crosses...check with him for tips and tricks.

·
Dirt Farmer
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
There are thousands of mods I would do to be faster at auto-x before I bothered with aero. If you made the spoiler out of lead to get some weight over the rear wheels it would help 100 times more than the aero advantage. You'll likely never get over 40 mph in an average auto-x event.
I am aware of this, though i do believe that aero is affected at much lower speeds than most people realize. The simplest example of proof is a bicycle, which stays upright, in part, as a result of the high pressure side to side and low pressure above.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,190 Posts
I don't see where that applies at all...tell me what happens when you let you let loose of the bike? In my experience, it falls over.

·
Dirt Farmer
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I don't see where that applies at all...tell me what happens when you let you let loose of the bike? In my experience, it falls over.
If let go smoothly, on a level road it can, and usually does, roll on by itself for quite a while. Air is not the only force in play, and certainly much less on a bike alone than on a bike/rider combo, but it will fall much slower than a bike that is not rolling regardless.

Its all a bit off topic anyway, and as stated before, really doesn't matter in the realm of autocross. Suspension and tires and weight have much more impact. But as I have more time than money I thought this would be a fun area to explore.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,047 Posts
I totally get the whole "Ive got a budget" thing.... But really... A one armed man in a wheel chair is going to smoke a 1st gen S10 on an autocross course regardless of how much aero work you do, even if you dump $1000 in suspension and $2000 in wheels and tires... Its still going to handle like garbage. If you were looking for a budget autocross vehicle why not go ANY other direction?

I have less than $2000 in a station wagon (including price of vehicle)....I'll race ya around any track you want...Straight or twisty lol

·
I turn.
2,567 Posts
I totally get the whole "Ive got a budget" thing.... But really... A one armed man in a wheel chair is going to smoke a 1st gen S10 on an autocross course regardless of how much aero work you do, even if you dump $1000 in suspension and $2000 in wheels and tires... Its still going to handle like garbage. If you were looking for a budget autocross vehicle why not go ANY other direction?

I have less than $2000 in a station wagon (including price of vehicle)....I'll race ya around any track you want...Straight or twisty lol
I've done close to 100 auto-x events with my truck in the last 7-8 years. You can a lot with a good diff, tires, and some basic suspension mods. It's never going to compete with an equivalently modified sports car but you can have fun with it and surprise some people. I also have an extended cab and auto trans - not exactly ideal.

I agree that if you want to build a rig for auto-x, start with something else. I still use my truck to tow (small) trailers, haul wood, engines, garbage, snowmobiles, furniture, etc so if you want a multipurpose vehicle it's not a terrible place to start.

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,788 Posts
depending on what class you run, aero isnt allowed anyways.
my local events are small <60sec some in the 30 sec courses, but see 50-60 mph fairly regularly. Then again, maybe an s10 would be a touch slower :p

·
Dirt Farmer
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I've done close to 100 auto-x events with my truck in the last 7-8 years. You can a lot with a good diff, tires, and some basic suspension mods. It's never going to compete with an equivalently modified sports car but you can have fun with it and surprise some people. I also have an extended cab and auto trans - not exactly ideal.

I agree that if you want to build a rig for auto-x, start with something else. I still use my truck to tow (small) trailers, haul wood, engines, garbage, snowmobiles, furniture, etc so if you want a multipurpose vehicle it's not a terrible place to start.
Exactly my thoughts. My last car was fairly good in a 1/4 mile, though not great, and pretty much useless everywhere else. It had no air, cold or hot, had only two seats, drank like an abused big block, couldn't be taken out of town, and handled worse than anything I've ever driven. So far I think I'm doing pretty well. And I'm having fun regardless. Half the enjoyment is in the build for me.

But I will be racing this Saturday. For the first time I might add, so even if I was in a tricked out, purpose built racer I'd probably still be beaten by some guy in a $500 beater anyway.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts