S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Dirt Farmer
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody here experimented with aero parts? Wings, splitters, diffusers, smooth underbody panels?

I plan to use my 1st gen mostly for autocross, so speeds wont be that high, but in playing and testing i find that it gets really light in the front when it goes much above 85mph.

Just curious if anybody has experimented in the area. Mostly curious if there is any way to increase high speed stability and keep it streetable.

·
Sold :'(
7,561 Posts
I haven't "officially experimented", but I can tell a big difference when I drove without my airdam in place. Also, since I added some parts to the rear suspension, it's sitting about 1/4" lower than the front. I can tell a difference in the wind drag at high speeds. It's still plenty stable at 110+, but noticeably less than when it had a 1/2" rake. I'd say all you need is a simple air dam and a slight rake for your purposes.

·
Dirt Farmer
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a bit of rake right now. The factory air dam is in good shape as well..

Maybe i make a lower air dam? Possibly with a small splitter. Couldn't hurt to try i guess.

·
Passwordistaco
5,864 Posts
A little bit of rake will go a long way

If you want high speed stability and your lowered look into global west control arms, you can adjust for more caster (these trucks get negative caster when lowered) and that will do wonders to create more stability at high speeds, it also creates a little of negative camber on extreme turns. The control arms are money though.

·
I turn.
2,566 Posts
Check into the style of 3/4 tonneau cover used on the S10EV. There was a lot of wind tunnel and modelling work done to develop it and it was subsequently used on the Banks Syclone. It looks weird with the front part open but it works. I have some of the original engineering papers somewhere.

·
Dirt Farmer
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check into the style of 3/4 tonneau cover used on the S10EV. There was a lot of wind tunnel and modelling work done to develop it and it was subsequently used on the Banks Syclone. It looks weird with the front part open but it works. I have some of the original engineering papers somewhere.
I can't seem to find much on that style of cover. Do you have any links?

I'm not at all above experimenting with plywood. It would actually be much less redneck than many of the things driving around my town.

·
I turn.
2,566 Posts

They've done a lot of aero work on this truck as well but I can't find the build thread at the moment. It's on syty.net somewhere, you should be able to find it with the keywords t56 magnum or road race.

http://www.highperformancetrucks.com/news/?p=145

·
Registered
376 Posts
As you have said, the front has a bit of lift when doing above "the ton". I've been working on adapting a splitter off a NASCAR racecar to my front end of my first gen. It has helped and I keep cutting the size down so it will not be so obtrusive for a street truck and not have too much drag and still be functional, but still needs more tweaking. I'll be making a bed cover with a wing or spoiler as well.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Richard Petty MotorSports, came off one of the #43 cars. It wasn't race used but was on for a test session, had some scrapes on the bottom side from touching down a few times but overall great shape. Gave em $10 for it. Still know a few guys from my racing days.

·
Dirt Farmer
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How well does that splitter work? I would have thought that it would need to be bigger... If I have the time tomorrow I'm going to start designing one. Couple cheap sheets of ply should give me enough material to try a couple different things. First though will be a partial bed cover as seen above.

I'm going to be somewhat scientific about this, mostly out of curiosity, but if someone has input or questions this should be pretty easy to follow and see what's going on.

Plan is to do some testing tomorrow with my truck as is (stock, 3" drop, no cat) and do as many 45-75mph runs as I can so I can get a good average. I figure I'll fill up the tank before each testing session so the weight is as close to static as I can manage.

Once I have a good baseline it's off to the hardware store for some lumber. I think 1/2" should be a good starting point. I'll do a full size bed cover first, then more passes from 45-75. Then 2/3 cover and more tests.

It's the best way I can think to test drag/stability changes. At least for my purposes, and it'll be real world results for what that's worth.

Not sure how to "graph" improvements from an experimental splitter, but I'll be building one of them too. Though not for a while.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It has helped the high speed lift issue. I haven't tested the high speed cornering effect of the splitter. It doesn't take much at high speed to effect the aero, I've been reducing the size sticking out past the airdam by 1/4" increments. I can also see a difference in highway gas milage with each reductuon in size (less drag).

·
Registered
376 Posts
These are made from a material called Tegris (I think that's spelled right), it's fiber & resin laminate construction. But unlike carbon fiber it has some flex, I've tagged it on parking lot stones ( not on purpose) and it hasn't broken or cracked. It's about 3/4" thick.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Started by just bolting the splitter to the bottom of the air dam with 1/4x20 stainless button hold bolts I had in the shop, recessed the head in the splitter to keep it from hanging anything on the road.

Then made a center brace going between the frame rails and tabs down to the splitter.

Then made braces for each corner coming off the outside of the frame where the bumper brackets are mounted. These pics were taken before the braces were completed.

·
Dirt Farmer
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome thanks. Nice clean install too. I particularly like the slotted mounting holes. Is that so you can adjust the splitter forwards and back?

Anyway on to the preliminaries.
My truck is a 1990 s10 Tahoe. 2 wheel drive, manual with a 4.3. 201k miles. No performance mods aside from deleting the catalytic converter. I have a tool bag behind the seat. Maybe 15lbs and the emergency jack is still in place. I weigh 185. And its rolling on 245-45r17 rubber with the original 3.08 rear end. Also I had a Dr Pepper riding shotgun.

I decided to make two tests out of it. One in 4th gear from 45-75 and one in 5th from 65-80 (that's where the speedo stops). With the tank topped off before I started

The road I used for test 1 is on a slight grade, at about 2500 feet above sea level. And no traffic. I made 5 passes traveling in both directions on the same road for a total of ten tests.

4th gear. Floored from 45mph to 75. Average time elapsed was 11.695 seconds

Then I hopped on the interstate and tested again. Four passes in both directions for 8 tests.

5th gear. 65 mph to 80. Averaged out at 7.54 seconds.

Then the wife called with a list of to-dos for my day off work. I'll try to get a bed cover built and tested this week or next and see what the results are. Hoping that the cover (loss of drag) makes up for a small splitter (increase in drag) and I can have a bit more high speed fun without affecting fuel consumption. That'd be sweet.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Awesome thanks. Nice clean install too. I particularly like the slotted mounting holes. Is that so you can adjust the splitter forwards and back?
Yes, came from RPM with those machined already.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts