S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 extended cab 4x4. I have an 87 SBC from a 1500 to install. I am going to upgrade the heads to either vortec or aluminum heads. I bought the JTR book and was leaning toward his motor mounts, camaro manifolds, a clutch fan for cooling, and swapping to a carb. I might switch to TBI after I get it running. I want a daily driver with a little umph. One of my goals is to use a clutch fan for cooling as I want to be able to drive this everyday. I am willing to use mechanical if needed but really don't want to overheat this motor after all the work I am having done to it. If go with a clutch fan, are the JTR mounts the only ones that allow me to use a clutch fan? Any other advice or recommendations are very welcome.

·
Administrator
23,081 Posts
A fan that uses a clutch is a mechanical fan. I have no idea what engine mounts have to do with your fan. You'd be better off reading the info in the V8 Discussion section. You'll also be better off starting out with the TBI.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would assume that engine mounts would affect where the motor sits and how much room is left for a mechanical/clutch fan. Am I wrong?

·
Administrator
23,081 Posts
If you use the right mounts, they will put the engine exactly where it needs to be.
I would suggest you go to www.V8S10.org and read their stickies. Like most sites, a lot of their pics are missing thanks to Photobucket, but the content is there, and they are very good at sbc swaps .

·
Been there Done it
8,191 Posts
The primary problem with JTR mounts is that Mike is convinced the engine needs to be moved to towards the passengers side. That makes exhaust, plugs, and starter a PITA to access. I prefer AA mounts. They put the engine centered and where it belongs. I base my SBC swaps on the premise that the transmission should stay right where it is. Even if I'm going to replace it. If you are putting in a 700r4 from the 1500 the trans mount should bolt into the original location. Bolt the engine to the transmission and it should land right on your motor mounts. There really isn't any room to move it back and there is no reason to move it forward.
If you want to run a clutch fan you'll likely have to recess your radiator.
If the S10 is already a TBI, keeping it TBI is way simpler than going to a carb for numerous reason. Take the eprom out of the 1500 and put it in the S10 ECM and reconnect the wires is all you have to do. Everything else is plug and play. Unless you had a 4cyl.
Your elephant in the room will be finding or making an oil pan to fit the 4x4. I usually take the rear section of an 89-94 or so 4.3 4wd pan and weld it to the front 1/2 of your 1500 pan. Helps to have a scrap block to bolt it to during the welding. Gotta be Tig or REAL mig. NO splatter welder. You'll need to redrill a few of the pan holes but you can use the V8 rail bars as a guide. You also will need a longer 4.3 4wd oilpump pickup tube. I'd do a pump to. Stock Melling will be fine.
Doubt the Camaro manifolds will work on a 4wd. Hooker 4wd headers aren't to bad. Get some heat socks for the plug boots.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The primary problem with JTR mounts is that Mike is convinced the engine needs to be moved to towards the passengers side. That makes exhaust, plugs, and starter a PITA to access. I prefer AA mounts. They put the engine centered and where it belongs. I base my SBC swaps on the premise that the transmission should stay right where it is. Even if I'm going to replace it. If you are putting in a 700r4 from the 1500 the trans mount should bolt into the original location. Bolt the engine to the transmission and it should land right on your motor mounts. There really isn't any room to move it back and there is no reason to move it forward.
If you want to run a clutch fan you'll likely have to recess your radiator.
If the S10 is already a TBI, keeping it TBI is way simpler than going to a carb for numerous reason. Take the eprom out of the 1500 and put it in the S10 ECM and reconnect the wires is all you have to do. Everything else is plug and play. Unless you had a 4cyl.
Thanks for the reply! I had a 2.8 V6. Does it being a 4X4 change the mounts? I do like the idea of not having to shorten the rear drive shaft and lengthen the front.

I do want to drive it in the summer and run the AC. I could easily go with an electrical fan setup if I knew a good setup. The reason I was avoiding an electrical fan setup is because the JTR manual recommends against it. What cooling setup would you use?

·
Been there Done it
8,191 Posts
My current choice for electric fans is 99-00 era Dodge intrepid set up. It's nearly a bolt on to the S10 rad. Has dual fans that both run hi or lo.
The 4wd upper mounts are a bit different than the 2wd, but since you already have the 2.8 lowers you are ahead of the curve.
The JTR manual is a good read for suggestions, but he first published it quite awhile ago. Although he has tried to update it a lot has changed.
You can learn a lot of alternative ways to accomplish your swap by reading everything in the V8 section of this forum and then go to www.v8s10.org and read everything there, except the posts on motor mounts. They spend a lot of time discussing RickRacers 2wd mounts, that won't work on a 4x4.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts