S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there all, just a question...I have a 92' s10 4.3L v-6 700r...I am thinkin' about the swap because I already have the 350 block...I want to get about 325 to 350 ponies out of the b...what is the best advice to get performance wise for the block...like heads(ported and polished maybe), cam, pistons, just any and everything you guys want to throw at me...give me all the advice I can get even with the swap...thanks a lot guys for your time and knowledge...thanks

·
Registered Loser
1,353 Posts
I'd try and pick up all the internals as a kit. Try and shoot for 9.5 - 10.0 CR, get some nice vortech heads, an edelbrock intake/cam kit, with a nice 670cfm or so holley....port match everything...blah blah blah, nice headers/mufflers...thats if you're going carb of course....

·
Registered
281 Posts
For a 350 325HP is considered a mild performance upgrade. It should be pretty easy to get that. You could get it easier with Vortec heads, but getting the biggest cam you can get that will work with the stock ported heads along with the usual Edelbrock intake, carb and headers should get you pretty darn close to 325. All this assumes at least 9:1 compression.

The key is the cam. Call Comp Cams for a recommendation.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the round about price for those vortech heads...I appreciate you guys helping me out...anyone else can put there two cents in...thanks guys

·
Got spray? Got boost? (y)
3,084 Posts
$500 new. Vortec heads would be good idea for sure. I agree on the advise of calling a cam manufacture. Good idea. Do the same thing for the converter. Vortec heads and a good cam with the right stall speed, also the right gear in the back would make for a low 13 or high 12 second truck pretty easy. Also you don't need monster tires to hook up with good power like everyone thinks. Its all about suspension and wieght transfer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I figured I would have to do something with suspension... what is the most durable yet cheap suspension I can get...?

·
Registered
202 Posts
350 stock short block rebuild 9.5 comp., vortec heads and edelbrock vortec intake, 750 holley 4 bbl, roller cam with
.525 lift and 230-235 duration at .050 . should get you 400hp easy(or very close). Set total timing at 35-36.

This is would be a nice tame street motor too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah...that sounds really good...I like that idea I'll probably float with that one...I appreciate the input...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My truck has a throttle body...now if I wanted to carb it up that would still work with my transmission...because I read in the JTR manual that tbi trannys won't work with tpi engines and visa versa...I know havin' a carb isn't a tpi but I just want to make sure...?

·
Registered
202 Posts
your 700R should have a (tv) cable, you can buy brackets
to mount your throttle and tv cable for carb setup, after you mount it, set the tv cable so it is pulled all
the way out (until it stops) when the carb is at full throttle.
For the converter lockup, you can by a unit that tells the trans
to lock the converter , it comes with a sensor that hooks into
your speedometer cable , and it is also adjustable so you can
set it to lock the converter at any speed after first gear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Everybody is right about the Vortec Heads, they are worth about 30 hp without doing anything to them. My advice would be to find a good motor out of a wrecked truck, that way you can get them cheap. I got a set of about 100 bucks a head. I didnt have to go through mine, but you might depending on the mileage. As far cam I wouldnt go with anything less than .500 lift and .262 duration @ 50 thousandths. Good set of roller rockers. High rise intake and a 750 HOlley double pumper. That and a good ignition system should put you about 1.25 hp per CI.

All that coupled to a good convertor, tranny and a nice set of gears, and should look for 11's easy.:headbang:

I hope that helps

Bit

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys you are really helping me out...I appreciate everything...anything else I should do let me know cause I am up for anymore suggestions...thanks

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
If you want to use more than .470 lift with vortech heads you'll need to do some modifications like cutting the spring seats and enlarging the pushrod slots, and it would'nt hurt to put in screw in studs while you're at it. Suspension wise, traction bars made for S10 like SSM or CE slide a link will work fine, removing the overload leaf helps weight transfer. I've seen 1.60 60' times on similar setups.

·
Registered
80 Posts
B I T said:
Everybody is right about the Vortec Heads, they are worth about 30 hp without doing anything to them. My advice would be to find a good motor out of a wrecked truck, that way you can get them cheap. I got a set of about 100 bucks a head. I didnt have to go through mine, but you might depending on the mileage. As far cam I wouldnt go with anything less than .500 lift and .262 duration @ 50 thousandths. Good set of roller rockers. High rise intake and a 750 HOlley double pumper. That and a good ignition system should put you about 1.25 hp per CI.

All that coupled to a good convertor, tranny and a nice set of gears, and should look for 11's easy.:headbang:

I hope that helps

Bit
11s????? On about 400 HP without slicks and a real suspension? Yeah... okay :troutslap. Oh, and the Vortec heads will not handle .500 lift cams without valvespring work and clearancing. For the money that you would have to put into the Vortec heads to get them to accept a big cam, you might as well buy a set of Dart Iron Eagle heads. They can do about .525 out of the box and they're better than the Vortec heads and you don't have to buy a Vortec specific manifold, either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
SmallBlock_98_S10 said:
11s????? On about 400 HP without slicks and a real suspension? Yeah... okay :troutslap. Oh, and the Vortec heads will not handle .500 lift cams without valvespring work and clearancing. For the money that you would have to put into the Vortec heads to get them to accept a big cam, you might as well buy a set of Dart Iron Eagle heads. They can do about .525 out of the box and they're better than the Vortec heads and you don't have to buy a Vortec specific manifold, either.

Well any dumbass with a brain knows that if you put that much horsepower to the ground you will need slicks. :monkey:

As far as the Vortech, he doesnt have to use that big of cam, I was just giving him a suggestion. It all depends on the money he wants to spend. :thumbup:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah...I know I would have to valve spring work and all that good s**t...I am just getting ideas from all you guys who have already done this project...money is tight now but in a little while I should be rollin' in the MONEY...!

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
OneMeanB said:
Yeah...I know I would have to valve spring work and all that good s**t...I am just getting ideas from all you guys who have already done this project...money is tight now but in a little while I should be rollin' in the MONEY...!
Money no object, I'd go with AFR heads. They'll outperform the vortecs, especially in the upper rpm range. Around $1300/pr assembled. Just take them out of the box and bolt em on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts