S-10 Forum banner

Adding keyless entry to 2002 blazer?

11K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  comics22 
#1 ·
well my 2002 blazer has power windows and locks but never had keyless entry. I've heard it should have a connector under the drivers kick panel to "plug and play" a receiver module.

So the only 2 things i need to get from a junkyard is the module that is supposedly bolted to the underside of the drivers kick panel and a matching key fob remote correct?

Do i have to reprogram the remotes if i buy the fob and module from the same vehicle?

I searched on here and s10warehouse posted how to do this in this thread:
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f27/s10-keyless-entry-remotes-and-programming-instructions-209065/

is that the correct method?

Thanks all for your help.

#2 ·
pick up the matching BCM with the receiver module from the same truck too.
they had a part # change at some point so not all RKO checked BCMs can handle all modules. Took me a couple tries to figure that out.
and Ebay has plenty of cheap FOBs that work fine.

oh and the module isnt even bolted, I think it was just a clip/tab but you have to drop the kick panel which does require bolt removal

#5 ·
i bought the blazer used a few years ago and only things i got with it was a GM key and a hardware store cut key. Yes has power windows and locks and heated outside mirrors but not power cloth seats.

Ill check on the RPO code today.

would you happen to know where the BCM is mounted?

#7 ·
Closest RPO code to AU0 i have is AU3

this is the plug and the location for wireless module? plug has 3 wires going to to it

this is the location and partial pic of the bcm? directly below the radio darn near on the hump of the floor.

#8 ·
well good news is i found a blazer with keyless entry but no fob, found 2 fobs out of similar yeared blazers/bravadas.

anyways i got the keyless entry module and the BCM out of the same vehicle. I notice my BCM is physically the same and connectors plug right in but the square color combination on the top sticker, mine is green and red, and the replacement i got is yellow and red. Plugged it in anyways with the battery connected (i know should have disconnected it...) now the security light is flashing when key is out of the ign... I disconnected the battery for now.

I will try hooking it back up here in a little bit and see if its learned it yet or whats going on...

Does the key fob technique that s10 warehouse posted about holding unlock and cycling the key work on all year blazers?

#9 ·
EDIT: i tried programming again after watching several youtube videos and i got it to recognize its in program mode but holding fob buttons didnt do anything.

I did slap the original BCM back in and blazer does start and security light is normal (off). Do you have to program the BCM somehow to be compatable with the rest of the vehicle????

#10 ·
from what i can research it appears the security thing was normal so i need to do the 30 minute passlock relearn procedue.

meantime ill stop by autozone or the like and test the remote to see if its working with that in store thingy...

#12 ·
hmm they dont match... crap...seems the blazer is one that had the FCC#KOBLEAR1XR, i have a remote for FCC# that ends in TIBT...

do other cars that use this remote (like buick) use same FCC# that i need?

I found what i suspect to be the correct remot eon amazon for $15
Amazon.com: KeylessOption Replacement 4 Button Keyless Entry Remote Control Key Fob Compatible with 15043458: Automotive

its FCC# says its KOBLEAR1XR, the only difference between it and my modules FCC# is the last digit. My guess is the module ends in R for Receiver and the remote ends in T for Transmitter?

#13 ·
hmm they dont match... crap...seems the blazer is one that had the FCC#KOBLEAR1XR, i have a remote for FCC# that ends in TIBT...

do other cars that use this remote (like buick) use same FCC# that i need?

I found what i suspect to be the correct remot eon amazon for $15
Amazon.com: KeylessOption Replacement 4 Button Keyless Entry Remote Control Key Fob Compatible with 15043458: Automotive

its FCC# says its KOBLEAR1XR, the only difference between it and my modules FCC# is the last digit. My guess is the module ends in R for Receiver and the remote ends in T for Transmitter?
Not positive, but that would be my guess also. The fcc number pertains to the frequency, so any fob with a matching fcc number will work, even if the part number and or features may be different. I am actually using a Silverado 3 button fob on my Jimmy in a 4 button case. The boards were identical.

#15 ·
Alright! so once i did the 30 minute passlock relearn the blazer starts right up, did the key fob programming thing and both remotes worked perfectly. Then i immediately set off the alarm that i newly acquired that i didnt know i had...

note to self: dont lock doors with the remotes from the inside of the vehicle then open door with the handle...

I gotta go to a wide open space and see what will set it off and what wont, apartment complex prolly wasn't too happy...

anyways thanks so much! Sucks i have 2 remotes i cant use (one is busted on the inside)

So for future people heres some tips:

Buy BCM and receiver module from the same vehicle

if possible get the fob from the same vehicle - if not check the FCC# on the receiver module and hunt around the junkyard for a fob with a matching serial number

Should be noted there is a FCC key fob and receiver number floating out there that was used very short time and no-one has aftermarket fobs for it - apparently FCC made them jump frquencies due to interferience.
With that said find a fob(s) first then try to find matching receiver.

Once you find a fob open it up and make sure it looks OK inside (battery not corroded, or in my case battery holder was broke and also broke off a surface mount IC chip (aka fob is junk)

look up how to do the 30 minute passlock reset when you swap the BCM and be ready to babysit it for half an hour or longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.