S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK .. first off, Hello. I am a new S-10 owner. I bought a 1998 4.3L S-10, but it is the bare bones stock model.

There are a few things I need to figure out that all your experience in this forum will know.

1. Currently there is a 1 piece bench seat that is in this and it fels like sitting on a flat board. I need some comfort. I need to know what years / makes and model of bucket seats will bolt in on the existing frame rails without cutting.

2. I don't have A/C. It gets cold in the winter in canada but hot as hell in the summer. I would like to have A/C. I have seen pictures of the 4.3 L motor with the A/C compressor on it and mine has a big opening right where it would go. So is it just a matter of buying the pieces and bolting this sucker in place?.

3. Is there anything I should do to this truck right off the start to make it more enjoyable as a driver? I have read some mods about the Cold Air Intake and moving one of the air flow sensors closer to the air filter for some added fun. What can I do that is reasonably in expensive to make this a little more fun. Don't get me wrong, when I test drove it down a dirt road doing 80 KM/H and matted the pedal the back end started to slide out. I was impressed right there.

4. Is there anything I should know about these trucks? ie things to watch for, things to do, things not to do?

I am new to this line of vehicle, but I have plenty of automotive experience, so don't be afraid to get technical.

Thanks in advance and I hope to be able to learn alot from everyone here.

Nasty

·
Norcal
120 Posts
does your truck jam it wil be faster with the ac off of it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
define "JAM"?

Do I race it, no.

I know I will lose about 10 hp when I have the A/C added but for the cost of comfort I am willing to donate that that to mechanical gods.

Nasty

·
Blown ex ***
5,710 Posts
well, you'd have to get all the mechanical parts. compressor, lines, evap, etc. then you'd have to wire it up. while i can't be "sure" . i bet it wouldn't be all that hard. but i could be kinda expencive, unless you find a parts truck.

last winter i took my ac off. EVERYTHING under the hood, but a few peices of wire.

·
Registered
466 Posts
What are you willing to pay? I've been considering taking my off to make room for other stuff. And if I sell my AC I can buy more stuff. 2001 with 18,000 miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't started to price out bits and pieces yet although I have some good connections in the auto stores. I will probably go for a new compressor, that way there will be no issues with it.

x01:
Give me some time to do a bit of hunting and I may take you up on your offer, or atleast part of it.

Nasty

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't think you could provide all the parts needed by removing them from your daily driver.
Look for a aftermarket kit that duplicates the factory appearance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No. Other then the direct A/C equipment I will also need to find a new climate control setup for the interior of the vehicle.

I don't think there would be too much more to it then that.

But yet, that is why I am here talking with the people that know the trucks.

Nasty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts