S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Blazer 4.3 that has orange dex-cool coolant in it. By mistake I added no more than about 3/4 quart of prestone all vehicles green coolant to the overflow bottle because the coolant was a bit low. I have read that these two do not mix well and kind of turn into sludge. The plan is to flush the coolant, but I can't get it done for about two weeks. Will driving the Blazer in the meantime damage the cooling system/turn the coolant to sludge?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Prestone All Vehicles is safe to mix it will not hurt it, Prestone says so.

Dexcool cannot be mixed with conventional green that is where problems will occur. I still recommend you go ahead and flush the system when you can either stick with Dexcool or switch to Prestone All Vehicles.

I am running Prestone All Vehicles in my 03 without a problem.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Prestone All Vehicles is safe to mix it will not hurt it, Prestone says so.

Dexcool cannot be mixed with conventional green that is where problems will occur. I still recommend you go ahead and flush the system when you can either stick with Dexcool or switch to Prestone All Vehicles.

I am running Prestone All Vehicles in my 03 without a problem.
That's good to know. I do still plan to do a coolant flush. By conventional green coolant you mean non long life coolant, correct?

·
Been there Done it
14,856 Posts
They also make a super all vehicle called Platinum All Vehicle that's guaranteed for 15 years and 350K miles. It's only a couple bucks more than the regular all vehicle. If you want to be OCD about it, mix it with distilled water. It's cheap. I seem to remember it being in the soda and bottled water aisle at WallyWorld. Or take the lazy route and buy premixed.
Robot or human?
Don't know what the Robot crap is all about, if you click it you get the Walmart page.

·
Registered
777 Posts
They also make a super all vehicle called Platinum All Vehicle that's guaranteed for 15 years and 350K miles. It's only a couple bucks more than the regular all vehicle. If you want to be OCD about it, mix it with distilled water. It's cheap. I seem to remember it being in the soda and bottled water aisle at WallyWorld. Or take the lazy route and buy premixed.
Robot or human?
Don't know what the Robot crap is all about, if you click it you get the Walmart page.
It is pretty interesting on how good it has become to be able to guarantee so long but me personally I would never trust going that long.

I at minimum do a drain/fill on my coolant every few years but certainly no more than 5 years for a flush even though the Prestone All Vehicles in my truck is good for 10 years or 300,000 miles

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Robot or human?
The Prestone I bought is rated at 10 years. Didn't know they made anything more, but I'll check that stuff out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's always a good idea to flush and clean the cooling system at regular intervals. Most never do it, and develop problems such as clogged heater cores or radiators
Agreed. I flushed the cooling system out to green long life coolant years ago on my 03 Truck but just got this Blazer a few months ago. So who knows when the coolant was flushed last.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is pretty interesting on how good it has become to be able to guarantee so long but me personally I would never trust going that long.

I at minimum do a drain/fill on my coolant every few years but certainly no more than 5 years for a flush even though the Prestone All Vehicles in my truck is good for 10 years or 300,000 miles
Kind of like synthetic motor oil and it's claimed mileage intervals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts