S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AC comompressor is not kicking on, so I'm needing to check the four AC relays on the firewall of my '96 V6. How do you get them off? And, how are they checked, by continuity?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem. I ran jumper wires from the battery to the A/C compressor clutch connection, and the compressor engaged and the vents started blowing out nice cold air, so I know the system works other than the relay that turns the compressor on and off. Can someone tell me which off the relays is the a/c clutch or give any further guidance to solving this problem.
Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Evidently, not too many are familiar with this problem. Let me know if you get a response. I'm wanting to fix it soon, and have trouble getting off to take it in. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK I could not get the compressor relay to cycle the compressor so I ran a jumper to the clutch and engaged it with a/c on max. No cold air. checked and refrigerant was just a little low. added refrigerant and now the system works fine. appearantly their is a low pressure switch that disables the compressor clutch.
hope that helps you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
OK I could not get the compressor relay to cycle the compressor so I ran a jumper to the clutch and engaged it with a/c on max. No cold air. checked and refrigerant was just a little low. added refrigerant and now the system works fine. appearantly their is a low pressure switch that disables the compressor clutch.
hope that helps you.
Ah yes. My coolant was QUITE low. It would turn on for about 2 seconds (during which the pressure gauge went from the beginning of ALERT down to the "LOW" area. During filling, the duty cycle changed. After a .... good bit of coolant, it stays steady on. Quite nice to have AC. (not again, since I purchased it while AC wasn't working)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts