S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AC Pulley has started to make a pretty loud rthymic squeaking noise.. Does the pulley/bearings just need to be replaced? Or is there more involved in it? Looked at old threads .. Didn't really find just a specific thread on just the pulley making noise. I was going to attached an mp3 file of the noise but it looks like that format is not allowed?? WTF is up with that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like you are referring to the ac compressor clutch if it’s making a significant noise you’d wanna replace that so it doesn’t lock up and throw a belt

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just make sure its not the idler pulley or the belt tensioner pulley as those go bad far more often than the A/C pulley bearing.
OK so besides taking the belt off and spinning each one/pulley individually. What is the best way to tell which of those pulleys is making the noise? From what i can tell the squawk is coming from the AC compressor side of the engine..

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
370 Posts
I use a wooden yardstick and put one end on the part I want to listen to, then put the other end on my thumb and that against the front of my ear. Put a very slight bow in the yardstick and noises will then transfer up so you can listen. A good bearing will sound smooth and bad bearings will have a rumble as you listen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts