S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
10 Sec. Club
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

I just picked up my y2k sonoma with the 4.3l today and the belt is squeelin like a pig...

The guy i purchased it from said he replaced both tensioners and the belt but it is still doing it - His mechanic said he think's it is the Altenator bearing but i was listening to it tonight and if seems like it is coming straight from the ac compressor. they re-charged the regridgerant but not sure if they put compressor oil in..

Is it as simple as possibly adding compressor oil into the system or is my compressor shot?

Thanks!

John

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
if you turn off ac does it stop? AC off = no compressor turning.

If its the belt slipping, rev it up..turn off the truck and feel for a hot pulley. No comp oil probably wouldnt trash it immediately...

Got right belt?

·
10 Sec. Club
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They said the changed the belt, i could only assume they put the right one on.

it squeels regarless if compressor is on or not, gets a little louder when on.

I was going to go to pepboy's today and get a new belt yet again and maybe try throwing that on, my fear is it is the compressor, i just dont know why it is squeelin like this....

·
WHAT DO YOU WANT
1,249 Posts
okay i have 96 s10 with the 4.3 and my ac was squeelin allot too. after a while about a week or two later, the pulley seized up and broke the belt. so i went to schucks and got allot smaller belt and took off the little pulley next to the ac one and i have not done anything with ac unit yet but if you want to know what size belt just let me know.

just saying might be the oil for the bearing on the pulley.

·
10 Sec. Club
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a part number for the belt?

I would like to try that - process of elimination....

Did you still run the belt the same way - just elminate the compressor?

·
WHAT DO YOU WANT
1,249 Posts
plus took off the little pulley next to the ac compressor.

go to a auto place i think it's a 150 not sure right now because im on vacation to south cali but if it does not work just above the number or below.

anymore problems let me know.

peace out

·
WHAT DO YOU WANT
1,249 Posts
sorry you need a different belt much smaller you stock one is about 180 to 185 and the one you need is 145 give or take.

sorry about that.

peace out

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
are you guys talking about taking the ac compressor out completely and then putting an idler pulley in??

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
180 what? Centimeters? That is way shorter than stock.... 234CM was mine after pulleys... add a couple CM for stock I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts