S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 94 s10 blazer..recently has been giving me trouble starting ONLY in the rain or right after rain...I have been getting it to start by using a hair dryer over the coil and distributer..figuring maybe there was moisture in distrib or something...anyone had this problem before or know if its the ignition coil or the distrib..now visible cracks in the distrib..thanks a lot

15,113 Posts
where in NJ are you??

my guess is its something exposed to the air more than something thats covered, but thats only a guess since its easily effected by rain but also easily fixed by hot air.

Here is my suggestion. Get a few days where its dry. Drive to an auto parts store. Do a full ignition tune up (not coil) but get plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor. Also pick up a tube of dielectric grease, its made specially for electrical connections.

Drive back home, open your hood and allow the engine to cool off. Do the tuneup as usual, making sure you put dielectric grease in all the boots on the wires and it doesnt hurt to put some on the brass tabs on the inside of the cap, it keeps the corosion down.

While you have the cap off, inspect where the 2 plugs for the ignition module plug in. If im thinking correctly, there should be a thin rubber gasket there?? but i might be wrong, either way, see if you can pull off those 2 plugs and make sure there is no corrosion on either end. If good, coat with dielectric grease and plug back together and install the cap. If they are dirty, clean them with a small wire brush or something similar. Also, its good to have can of brake parts cleaner or electric motor cleaner handy, cause if you do find mositure somewhere, either of these will flush it out and then evaportate rapidly.

After all that is done and plugs are changed and all the new parts are installed, go over to the coil and remove the 2 plastic connectors, there should be 1 gray and 1 black one. Inspect both ends for moisture and corrosion. If clean coat with dielectric grease and put back on (one goes on before the other, they interlock). If they are dirty or have moisture in them, clean or spray them out, then grease and plug back together.

Unfortunately its kind of shotgunning the problem, but ignition components are fairly cheap and a tuneup never hurts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts