S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys-
I was just curious to what the engine driven compressors are, and how they compare to the regular Viair 450's(i have one 450). Anyways...I was told that the engine driven comps push a hell of alot of air and fill tanks in no time at all. Is this true? My reason for asking is because I have 1 5 gallon tank and a Viair 450, and am looking into getting another 5 gallon and another 450, but wondered how a engine driven and 2 5 gallons would compare to the 2 450s
WILLIE

·
can i video tape you?
2,360 Posts
You cant even compair engine driven comps to 450's. They will put out about 4 times more air then a single 450, if i'm doing my math right. Engine driven is the only way to go if you want so have lots of play time.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha...alright...so that answers my first question. Next would be, where exactly do u go to buy an engine driven and what am i looking at PRICEwise??? I search the forum and saw that people were gfetting them from junkyards and such, i dunno tho since i'm new to the engine driven

·
SK= Midwest's Elite
4,906 Posts
umm...i believe they were used in older stock cars to power the a/c blower....it basically hooks into your belt system and does its own little thing and pumps out MASSIVE amounts of air. You can get an S10 specific Air Commander from....err, well i forgot what company, i believe ART but dont quote me and i think those go for like 7-800 bucks with all the brackets and such

OR...you can do what some of the other people did on here, like Cab, and buy a refurbished or used York compressor for prolly 100 bux and fab up your own brackets, then just buy a longer serpentine belt to hook it all together with...hoped some of this helped, btw....im kinda a newb so dont qoute me on any of that...but futuresweets10 and cab know alot about engine drivens so talk to them

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright SLAM.....thanks for the info....i'll get in touch with them and see what it's all about for sure. Seems like something worth looking into. Later man
WILLIE

·
Registered
432 Posts
i was gonna make a new thread but i figured i'd ask here. are the brackets for an engine driven hard to make. i looked at future's how to and they seem pretty simple. i don't understand how airride(or airlift?) can sell them for $300. i want to make them myself but is it a lot harder then it looks? i'll have all the tools needed to make them so thats not a problem.

·
the spl king
298 Posts
if u can weld and have a place to buy steel from, then u shouldn't have a problem

onboardair is a good site also

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
ShattyFatmas said:
i was gonna make a new thread but i figured i'd ask here. are the brackets for an engine driven hard to make. i looked at future's how to and they seem pretty simple. i don't understand how airride(or airlift?) can sell them for $300. i want to make them myself but is it a lot harder then it looks? i'll have all the tools needed to make them so thats not a problem.
If you can weld and cut you can pretty much make them yourself. I bought 3 of my brackets from airlift (used a little social engineering and got them for 50 bucks) Then I fabbed the rest of the plates. I pretty much ordered the ones that I couldnt make and then built the ones that I could. If you are interested in which ones I ordered and which ones I would reccomend trying to get I will help you get them, just PM me.

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
SLAMnoma95 said:

OR...you can do what some of the other people did on here, like Cab, and buy a refurbished or used York compressor for prolly 100 bux and fab up your own brackets, then just buy a longer serpentine belt to hook it all together with...hoped some of this helped, btw....im kinda a newb so dont qoute me on any of that...but futuresweets10 and cab know alot about engine drivens so talk to them
Yea, I bought mine as a remanufactured unit from Autozone. It's for a 81 Ford F-100. It was $85.99 and it includes a warranty. You can pick one of those up, or you can go pull one from a junk yard. Some volvos and fords had them, futuresweets10 may know the differnet years/etc of them that had em.. I recommend the Autozone way tho, as if it focks up, you can take it right back and get a replacement. They had a few of these compressors on hand at my Autozone, so they probably will at yours... Just go see. Run 10W30 motor oil in it. I just use regular motor oil, not synthetic or anything. As for brackets, what engine do you have? You can buy Airlift's brackets, but they're quite expensive. They have pics of their brackets on their website. You can use those as a guide to make your own brackets, which shouldnt be too difficult. Like others said, if you can weld and you can get steel, you should be able to make your own. You'll need a pulley btw, as the compressor at Autozone doesnt come with one. You can try finding one at Autozone... just tell the guy you need a serpentine pulley for that compressor.. It may take him a bit, but he should be able to find one. (or a v-belt if that's what ya wanna run). Once ya get it installed/etc, you'll need a belt of course. Stretch string out through the complete pulley/belt cycle and measure how long it is. That's how long you belt should be. Be sure to stretch the string tight and stretch the string tight again when you're measuring how long it is. Just goto Autozone and tell em what length belt ya need. They've got quite a few lengths.

I hope that answered all your questions.

·
Banned
1,458 Posts
cab said:
Yea, I bought mine as a remanufactured unit from Autozone. It's for a 81 Ford F-100. It was $85.99 and it includes a warranty. You can pick one of those up, or you can go pull one from a junk yard. Some volvos and fords had them, futuresweets10 may know the differnet years/etc of them that had em.. I recommend the Autozone way tho, as if it focks up, you can take it right back and get a replacement. They had a few of these compressors on hand at my Autozone, so they probably will at yours... Just go see. Run 10W30 motor oil in it. I just use regular motor oil, not synthetic or anything. As for brackets, what engine do you have? You can buy Airlift's brackets, but they're quite expensive. They have pics of their brackets on their website. You can use those as a guide to make your own brackets, which shouldnt be too difficult. Like others said, if you can weld and you can get steel, you should be able to make your own. You'll need a pulley btw, as the compressor at Autozone doesnt come with one. You can try finding one at Autozone... just tell the guy you need a serpentine pulley for that compressor.. It may take him a bit, but he should be able to find one. (or a v-belt if that's what ya wanna run). Once ya get it installed/etc, you'll need a belt of course. Stretch string out through the complete pulley/belt cycle and measure how long it is. That's how long you belt should be. Be sure to stretch the string tight and stretch the string tight again when you're measuring how long it is. Just goto Autozone and tell em what length belt ya need. They've got quite a few lengths.

I hope that answered all your questions.
Good advice

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
will a 209 be good enough or do i need a 210. also do they both have the same clutch assembly for swapping purposes?

autosones website says the stores cant get them. special order isnt even an option. i think there full of it, im going there to see first hand. wish me luck

also i make brackets for 96+ 4.3s
installed pics will be available soon.

tuknrm

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
I dont know the specs or anything like that... IE. output of 209 vs. 210, but I do remember the 210 being the "normal" one, correct? And I dont know if the clutch is the same on them... I would guess it is though. Onboardair.com sells clutches as well.

Autozone sells em... just tell em you need a compressor for a 81 Ford F100.. see what they tell ya.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
to tuknrm from tuknrm merry christmas... they had to order it and it will be there in the morning. 149 with v belt clutch.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
are there any cons to running an engine driven...im also wanting to get one, but I've heard some bad things on this...can anyone shed some light on this.

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
cab said:
I dont know the specs or anything like that... IE. output of 209 vs. 210, but I do remember the 210 being the "normal" one, correct? And I dont know if the clutch is the same on them... I would guess it is though. Onboardair.com sells clutches as well.

Autozone sells em... just tell em you need a compressor for a 81 Ford F100.. see what they tell ya.
210 is the best to have, but 209 is right behind it. The 209 puts out a smaller amount of air but the difference isnt really noticable. The clutch is the same on them. There are many different v-belt clutch configurations though. I know I have seen single belt and duel belt clutches. And both single and duel with the clutch right by the compressor and with the clutch spaced a ways from the compressor. I belive there to be atleast 6 or so different V-belt clutch configurations for the york. Each auto manufacturer and each model had a slightly different clutch.

·
NOT AN ADMIN!!
2,230 Posts
does anyone know what the autozone/advance part number for the york, with a serp clutch instead of the v belt, or if anyone knows what car its from, thanks

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
when you buy it at a parts store the clutch is seperate. I have been searching for months now and I still cant find a car that the york came stock in with a serp, but I can say this... Something that has never been discussed her is Semi trucks. The only application for theses compressors in current day is Semi trucks. I know it is rare in the world of semi truck, but there are some semi trucks that come stock with a york with serp. I am guessing that this is the only reason that serp clutches for yorks are in production today. good luck

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i not to concerned as far as spacing is concerned since with the v8 i have tons of room in the engine compartment. and endless possibilities as far as pullies go

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
can you rebuild a york comp? cause i saw one at my work off a semi... looks just like cab's. it was sitting next to the parts aisle in the shop... used, but i did not realize the opportunity to take it... cause they will just throw them away (like everything else) they dont mess around with refubished items, they just get new ones. if it is rebuildable i am gonna grab the mo-focker!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts