S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Red X = Pure Sex!
3,366 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Anybody here got the A.R.E. LSII series cover?
Does it leak?
What about water gettin' in around the tailgate?

·
Truckin' on a budget
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah im sure thats what mine is and it does leak in the rear but not very much at all i really like it, then again ive never had a hard top before

·
Truckin' on a budget
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no im not 100% sure but it is very minimal. I think its coming in between the tonneau and the tailgate but not sure. I didnt put it on so i dont know if he had any problems with it or not

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks for the info man.

I'm planning to install an A.R.E. soon.
I need 99.9% weather-seal, so I'm gonna seal the tailgate opening with silicone caulk for now and just not open the gate.

Later I'll try to fab an insert to go in the space around the gate that'll hold a weather-gasket, so the gate'll be usable again.

·
Drivin' 2 Noma's
4,274 Posts
I don't have any problems with leaks or any water getting in. But I do get some light snow in the bed, only is it's really windy and snowing, it will blow between the slight gap between the rails and the bed. Like I said it rarely happens and not much gets in. Other than that I love it. It's A million times better than my old soft cover.

·
Registered
382 Posts
ZQ8 NOMA-
"between the slight gap between the rails and the bed" ???

I haven't looked at an installed A.R.E. up close...
Why is there a "slight gap"?

Now you got me uptight.
I'm gonna be using mine like a car truck.
I need 99.9% seal.
Is that gap something that could be sealed with silicone?
What's the deal?

·
Drivin' 2 Noma's
4,274 Posts
The server where my pics are is down at the moment or I could show you a picture. It's kinda hard to explain, but I sure you could make a seal with out much trouble. When the lid comes down it come to rest just above the rails on the inside of the bed leaving a slight gap. Ive seen other styles of toneaus where thers is a thin tall rubber flap installed that gets squished to make the seal. The lid also goes over and around the edge of the rail on the outside to eliminate most stuff from getting up and in to the bed. I don't know if this explanation helped any? I can get you a picture of both kinds when the server comes back up.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Rick X said:
Thanks for the info man.

I'm planning to install an A.R.E. soon.
I need 99.9% weather-seal, so I'm gonna seal the tailgate opening with silicone caulk for now and just not open the gate.

Later I'll try to fab an insert to go in the space around the gate that'll hold a weather-gasket, so the gate'll be usable again.
I work at Van & Truck World in Mississauga, Ontario and I install ARE LSII Tonneau's all the time... you can get a weather strip seal called "Weather-Gate" which you put between the tailgate and the bed... when you close the gate it's a perfect seal. Also... when the lid itself is installed there is a foam seal that gets put on the lid that seals the bed completely. If it is installed correctly it should not leak.

Hope this helps,

Nick

·
Registered
382 Posts
1gmc2nv -

I really appreciate that input...
I had planned to install the A.R.E. cover when I first bought the truck.

I've seen the Weather-Gate product at the A.R.E. dealer in my area, but he wouldn't really give me any comment about how well it'll work on an S10...
Have you seen Weather-Gate installed on an S-10 specifically?

There's such a huge gap around the tailgate I figured it might not be too weather-tight. ??

You guys are the best! I really do appreciate all the info on this.

·
Drivin' 2 Noma's
4,274 Posts
Here is a pic of what I was trying to describe. The two on the left are mine. The one on the right is a fiberline hard toneau on a Dakota with the seal.

·
Drivin' 2 Noma's
4,274 Posts
No problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts