S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
life begins @ 20 psi
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my daily driver is in the garage with the heads off. I made the "mistake" of putting in a 180 degree thermostat so that it could run a little cooler. Got about 2 miles down the road and all the sudden, no power and it dies. Trailer it back home and see the tell tales signs of antifreeze and oil mixing under the hood. Take out the drain plug and about half a gallon of antifreeze comes out followed by cheese whiz...

I am going to buy a set of feeler gauges tomorrow so that I can check to see if the heads are warped or not. I talked to my bud about my situation and he told me to flush it with kerosene to get all the H2O out. I know that this will have to be done several times in addition to running it with cheap oil, draining it and repeating the process. Didn't see any cracks in the block so, it seems that the head gasket was the culprit.

The question is, does anyone have any additional suggestions as to what else I should check or do while I have it apart? Another bud suggested a valve job and I have already kicked around the idea of (don't laugh too hard) port matching everything just for practice. It's a '88 S10 with 45K on the clock BTW. I have never taken a motor apart before so, this is uncharted territory for me. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Either the chevy gods wanted to kill it by chance or ya got a bad thermostat. Going cooler wouldnt have done that. I run a 160' in mine most of the time in hot summer driving.

Hopefully ya just blew a gasket. As for getting the water out its not as critical as you might think.
Basically let it drain overnight. Change the filter, add new oil. Drive it a bit. Nothing to far. Then change the filter and oil again. Prob solved on the water in the oil part. Id take the heads to a good shop though if youve already pulled them. Theres no way you will see all the cracks that might be there like a good shop can.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
SY2932 said:
Ok, my daily driver is in the garage with the heads off. I made the "mistake" of putting in a 180 degree thermostat so that it could run a little cooler. Got about 2 miles down the road and all the sudden, no power and it dies. Trailer it back home and see the tell tales signs of antifreeze and oil mixing under the hood. Take out the drain plug and about half a gallon of antifreeze comes out followed by cheese whiz...

I am going to buy a set of feeler gauges tomorrow so that I can check to see if the heads are warped or not. I talked to my bud about my situation and he told me to flush it with kerosene to get all the H2O out. I know that this will have to be done several times in addition to running it with cheap oil, draining it and repeating the process. Didn't see any cracks in the block so, it seems that the head gasket was the culprit.

The question is, does anyone have any additional suggestions as to what else I should check or do while I have it apart? Another bud suggested a valve job and I have already kicked around the idea of (don't laugh too hard) port matching everything just for practice. It's a '88 S10 with 45K on the clock BTW. I have never taken a motor apart before so, this is uncharted territory for me. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Mike
I get paranoid when it comes to the bottom end if your gonna have it apart I would recomend replacing all the bearings just to be safe. as well as cleaning it out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just went throught this...

Well... From someone who just did this last month to his truck... I would recommend draining the engine and coolant and then take the engine down to the block. Take the heads to a local performance shop to make sure that they are not warped and if they are, have them milled. After that just get new gaskets and clean the engine up and put it all back together. Its actually very simple, just time consuming. As far as the bottom end goes... You shouldn't have to touch it unless you really wanted to waste some extra time cleaning out the pan. Your bearings should still be fine.

·
life begins @ 20 psi
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies so far guys :) ! I'm pretty sure that swapping out the 'stat had nothing to do with it dying. Definitely feels really contridictory to do something to make it better and end up making it really bad... I noticed when I got the truck about a month ago that the radiator was replaced at some point. Kinda wonder if it had a cooling problem and the damage was done then. Looks like the holidays are gonna be a little more hectic this year.

Mike

·
Registered
152 Posts
Do the bottom end!

My 2.8 had the intake gasket go at 173K. I pulled the heads & they were OK. I flushed the block w/ drain oil/, cut the piston ridge so the wrist pins could wear more w/ out hitting the top ring on the ridge & breaking the ring. New water pump & put it all back together; even pulled each lifter, wiped the mud off, poured more drain oil down the bore & re-inserted the lifter. Started it up on drain oil w/ a new filter & let it get warm. Dumped the oil & filter and went to new oil.

At 193K it had no oil pressure left. Cold it had 45lbs and 15 min later it would bounce off the zero while waitin' for the light to change. Then a rod started to knock. Ten months later I installed the HT 3.4 crate motor.

Coolant does a job on the bearings, it destroys the surface metal and the oil pressure goes down the tubes.

I like my 3.4 BUT I could have saved my 2.8 & rebuilt it cheaper!

·
Spoolin' Fool
434 Posts
Hey Mike its Brian from Cleveland! Sorry to hear about your truck. What you need to do is get another 4.3 Turbo and toss that in there. I've seen and heard alot of horror stories with the 2.8 and in any of my past vehicles that had the 2.8, it always got swapped out with a 4.3. I still have old Blue if you need another mini. BTW, I have a running 4.3 with high miles; slowly dropping oil pressure if you want to rebuild this instead. We could work something out. Talk to you later.

·
life begins @ 20 psi
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What up Brian? I see that you got around to putting some kick butt rims and rubber on your syclone :D ! Thanks for the offer on the 4.3 but, I already have enough headaches with the tree trucks that I own now and a full blown motor swap is too big of a log to toss on the fire right now. If my heads turn out to be kosher, I'm just gonna keep the little ol 2.8 in there for now. I have heard from several people that these motors have oiling issues that's why I put Mobil 1 synthetic in it. Between 6 quarts and an oil filter, it costs as much as my syclone-$40.

As time passes I might just get rid of it and get something else. And I don't want another mini for a daily driver especially in the winter. Both of my other trucks have only 3" of clearance over the ground. Feels strange having something that I don't have to pull the floor jack out everytime I need to get under it :p .

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts