S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Chevy S10 2.5L single cab shorty.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I am brand new to the Chevy platform, or basically anything non-VW. I typically do a build a year and a few months back I sold my beloved 1989 VW carat that I restored. This opened up some space in the garage so you know what that means!! 3 weeks later I bought a 2015 KX250F that I'm in love with, but had to have it delivered to the house since I didnt own a truck.Two weeks later it was time for me to deliver my V6 passat motor to the machine shop for a fun build I have under wraps and I still didnt have a truck. So, I went a bought a truck! a 1992 Chvy S10 2.5L. The thing that drew me to this particular one was the amount of preventative maintenance and work the previous owner did. I could tell the truck had wear, and aside from the junk suspension, was in really good health. So, after trying my hardest to leave the truck alone... 2 months after purchase the truck already had a good amount of work into it and I started the tear down. Look out for some pic heavy content and some of my other builds!

and the reason I bought the truck.. to haul this motor!

Expect updates bi-weekly/monthly and pic heavy!

·
Been there Done it
9,005 Posts
Got to be in Cali with those wheels and lowered.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, not in Cali but I am getting lots of those comments from admirers. I honestly wasn't out to "buy a look", it just happend to be a well taken care of truck. A few things need addressing so thats where I come in.

To preface the "build" I am in the smack-dab-middle of what I am calling my "racecar build" which is a 2000 VW Passat. I am taking a 2.8 V6 and punching it out to a 3.0, stuffing a bunch of goods inside of it, then duct taping a chubby blower to the intake for some fun. If you know anything about the VW B5 chassis platform you'd see that everyone either does big turbo builds on the 1.8t engine or swap out their V6 for an Audi 2.7 twin turbo. I on the hand, like to do somethings differently.

So, back to the truck. Here is some progress. Also keep in mind not only do I have another build going, but am also in the middle of re-landscaping my back yard, working 50+ hours a week, and fitting in time to hang with my wife and pups..

So the day I got it registered in my name I was already using it to haul my "racecar" motor to the machine shop..

Loading it up at the house!

When I finished with that I addressed the exhaust. I bought it missing some hanger hardware and where the pipe met the rear muffler had rotted out so I pulled the whole line out.

I re-welded the joint then slid it back under the truck, using a sleeve to reconnect the pipe where I had cut it out with an angle grinder.

Then I fab'd up a little hanger plate that was missing for this U-joint and grabbed some nylon locking nuts.

From that point forward is all new piping with a new down pipe and O2 sensor so we are good there.

After test drive it was sounding smooth so I drove down to the local auto store from some fluids and noticed they sell these helper spings so I bought a set.

I dont feel like they do much so I am just going to redo the whole suspension with the Beltech street performance 2/3 kit here in the next few weeks.

I called the motor shop and we are still a month or two out so I started to address some other things on the S10.

The interior came out.

All the wiring was cleaned up, re-wrapped, and minimized. I'll have to grab a picture for that later. Wiring is sort of visible in this picture.

The OEM dash has a few cracks...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So I fiberglassed those and its currently drying now.

Headliner is out and the board is repaired. I am now deciding on either black or Serape! Pics to come.

Then a $25 steering wheel popped up by my house and it looks better than the stock two spoke wheel so I bought it.

The proceeded to chop the old one up...

So I could make my own steering wheel hub adapter..

To mount this wheel that I also grabbed for a few $

I'll be putting it on a quick release like the rest of my car wheels in the office!

I personally like them for anti theft since I also use the wheel hub locks with them. Rest assured, a kill switch have also been wired in for extra anti theft.

So now waiting for paint to arrive, find the headliner I want to use, and then I'm ordering a new bench cover from imctruck. com. If any one has any other input on OEM quality seat upholstery covers for the bench seat I am all ears.

While I wait for things to roll in I am prepping the other interior components for reinstall. I noticed the headligh switch panel was loose. Upon dis-assembly I found all the stitch mounting holes on the panel were blown out. So I grabbed the plastic welder and went to work on repairs. Plastic welders are a great tool for working on older cars with brittle plastic. You can save so many pieces its amazing.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

That's it for this update. give me a week or two and I should have an update on the new interior.

I'd love to hear input or ideas so chime in!

·
Registered
1992 2 door s10 blazer 4.3 5 speed
6 Posts
Adding some sound deadener while you have the interior took apart would help with Road noise and also help insulate the truck

·
Registered
49 Posts
What are you using for a plastic welder? What resin are you using for the dash repair? Are you using glass mat or fabric also? BTW, I've been looking at flocking as an alternative finish.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sweet truck! Thanks for sharing. I’m gonna get some of that plastic welder. I personally don’t like aftermarket starting wheels but that one your putting on looks good. Plus, it’s a good anti theft device.

40,491 Posts
Nice truck, and welcome to the site. You don't have to be in/from Cali to dig spokes. Don't be afraid to post your veedub builds here on the forum as well if you have the time. I'm sure myself and at least one other old man would enjoy them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Adding some sound deadener while you have the interior took apart would help with Road noise and also help insulate the truck
-Great idea! I'll try to source some. I think for my time line I'll source matting but will need to put the interior back together for the remainder of summer/fall so I can use it for a few more dirtbike trips. I'll keep this updated.

What are you using for a plastic welder? What resin are you using for the dash repair? Are you using glass mat or fabric also? BTW, I've been looking at flocking as an alternative finish.
-For plastic welding its always best to use the same OEM plastic to meld things together. Most the time I'll chew off a small chunk of material from an unseen portion of whatever assembly I am working on, and use that as my bonding material. In this particular case I just needed to use the plastic welder as a heat source to more/less mush the posts back together. I use a basic plastic welder from Harbor freight. Its a basic and cheap enough tool that even the crappiest version should suffice for quite a while.

-For the dash I am using glass mat. The only issue with it right now is making sure i dont sand layers too thin that they flex and lose the bond. Other than that its working great after the 1st sandind session. Flocking would be a great alternative that I may look into as well. I may have a good source stashed somewhere if I recall correctly. I also sew interior bits so I may end up making my own custom one and having some vent holes 3D printed.

Sweet truck! Thanks for sharing. I’m gonna get some of that plastic welder. I personally don’t like aftermarket starting wheels but that one your putting on looks good. Plus, it’s a good anti theft device.
-I know after market wheels aren't for everyone. I just have them in my VWs so I use the same NRG 2.0 quick release system in all the cars so they can all have interchangeable steering wheels. Most of my cars tend to have some visual appeal so for me its really just for anti-theft paired with a kill switch or two that are typically wired in all my cars. Especially my older ones.

Nice truck, and welcome to the site. You don't have to be in/from Cali to dig spokes. Don't be afraid to post your veedub builds here on the forum as well if you have the time. I'm sure myself and at least one other old man would enjoy them.
-Thanks for the welcome! I am really stocked to learn about these vehicles and likely do a motor swap next summer once my other build is done.

Here is the link to my 1989 VW Jetta Carat build I did over 2-3 years. I loved that car so much since my 1st car I bought on my own was the same mk2 gen jetta. It was a very clean car so I restored health to it, rebuilt a good amount of it, but unfortuantly sold it off a few months ago as the driveway was getting full. The build is missing the full timing and cooling system overhaul I did just before the sale so I'll update the thread with that.

And here is my build thread for some 3+ passats I have going. I started with a 2000 Passat that I fully built out and charged. Finished that and built an AWD version of it last summer or the summer before, and now I am in the middle of the 3rd build which will be more of a track car that I can daily. The goal for the new build is dropping compression for more boost, smaller pulley on the charger, upgrade all the internals of course, and a ton of weight reduction. We'll see how that goes.

My threads have a good amount of content. I try to move fast, get sh!t done, and produce an entertaining thread. If you or your friends are in the VW community and need some info on passat related tasks I also update a library of DIYs I create for all my work.

He goes2fast....
-Not sure what this means sir, but I try to go as fast as I can!

Updates soon on the S10. Just got back from vacation and taping off things for paint as well as sanding fiberglass on the dash. should be ready for paint by this weekend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Who's ready for an update?

Stripped the headliner with a nylon wire brush. Takes about 5 min.

Which left me with a clean slate..

Everyone and their mom is out of foam backed headliner material so I resorted...Black Velvet baby!!!

Hold tight, finished pictures if you keep scrolling..

The sewing machine came out and so did some leopard print!

But relax, I made them into sleeves with zippers so I can interchange the fabrics on the sun visors

And here they are paired with the black velvet headliner. Its tacky but clean and looks pretty awesome in the truck.

This got me thinking... and now I felt I needed at least 1-2 more small hits of leopard to tie it all in. On top of that, the self made low pro aftermarket hub adapter I made did not have enough clearance for the horn button once the wheel was mounted to the adapter. The back side of the horn button would run into the spline/nut so I had to create a spacer...

So I made a template and cut some acrylic.

Grabbed some more leopard print from the stash..

and boom!!

But before that was all installed, I re-wrapped all the wire harnesses..

Then finished up sanding the fiberglass on the dash and painted that..

Crack free baby!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Then with all the plastic welding addressed, everything else was completely broken down for cleaning and paint...

The door cards and A pillars were also redone too.

And then it was time to start installing it all.

And back to this recycled pic..

Next up, I need to order the black seat cover. Look into repainting all the seatbelt covers, and possibly sourcing black seatbelts. Unsure what I'll do for the head rests, hopefully I can find some replacement black coverings or I may have to sew my own.

After that the interior will be finished and onto suspension. I need to knock that out before my VW motor comes back from the shop and I shift all focus to that build. I'll update with full showoff pics once I get the seat cover in. I will also look into fabing up some custom dash vents for the windshield defrost since you can see the ugly old slats under the dash skin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts