S-10 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need a little help with this head unit.

Here is the unit in question. It came in my 2002 sonoma and was replaced early by an aftermarket unit and has been tucked away since.

Notice the cd/aux button

My truck never had any sort of aux input and only used the large double connector on the top right of the rear picture.

I plan on installing this into my daily 2002 pontiac grand prix gt

So I know i can install it into the car with no issue, waht i want to do is find out if i can use the aux feature and how to take advantage of it.

I assume the pins for this are located in the smaller un-used connector.

Does anyone have a pinout for this radio or have any info to share?

Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ive come across more info on this

I have verified that the smaller 9 pin connector is used for extrnal cd changers and tape decks and houses the wires needed for external input.

The pinouts are as follows

1. Battery Out
2. E & C Data
3. Ground Out
4. Audio Com In
5. Left In
6. Right In
7. Voice + in
8. Dimming Out
9. R14 Out

The problem is that apparently the radio will not switchover without thinking a tape deck is attached.

I spend most of my free time in my garage with breadboards and components building circuits but i would rather find someone with info rather than spend alot of time testing.

So ... Does anyone know of a simple circuit to trick the head unit into allowing aux input or want to share any info they have regarding the subject?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Does anyone have a this radio and a tape deck ?

And possibly access to an oscilloscope or logic analyzer?

I think the key to this lies in the data sent over pin 2 but I dont have a tape deck to analyze.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothin....?

·
Better post-em.
11,303 Posts
ive never had much experience with it. i suppose one coudl bench hook up the radio and have a meter on that pin and press the button see what it does (see if it puts out a voltage or does nothing like its waiting for a signal from the tape deck)

sid enote: i hope u have the code for that theftlock radio

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
I have a Delphi Radio, I believe it's a Monsoon HU (haven't seen it in over a year), I know it plays MP3 cd's and is pretty nice. It's at home as an outdoor radio, I didn't wire it up, but it has the aux button and on the back, it has the pigtail you're missing, but the wires are spliced into red/white component connectors and I've used it for everything from MP3 players to even a record player. I believe just by having the input hooked up and turned on, it'll work when you hit aux. Mine works that way at least.

It looks like this radio only mine doesn't have the cassette and says MP3 in big letters on it.

Edit: It looks like the one in the link.
http://www.mnrelectronics.com/pa10pogrpr20.html

And I'm pretty sure it does say monsoon somewhere on a tag or something. I could be mistaken though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the radio and a oscilloscope but lack the tape deck for testing.

From what everything ive found on the web says, it will allow aux input but requires the tape deck to be connected as some sort of piggyback before the radio will allow itself to switch over to the tape/aux mode.

The radio in my daily now has issues with the screen going random and the cd stops working on hot days. Regardless of the aux input turnout i will be installing this radio from the truck into the daily but i was just going to try and accomplish this before i do so eliminating the need to pull the dash apart multiple times.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
go to a junk yard and get the slave cassette player and wiring. Any vehicle that has the slave unit in will work (s-10, blazer, malibu, silverado/tahoe...)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The radio is planned to go into my daily pontiac which has no space for the tape deck. Also from what ive read they alot of people actually try and charge 150 and up for the tape deck.. SOOO not worth the pricetag.

Ive pretty much given up on anyone being able to help me with this project and will most likely just run the unit as is.

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
I wish I had my radio here with me. It doesn't have any special device or anything, it just has the wires that can be used an an aux input and that's how it's used.

·
Ridin' on Twankies
3,619 Posts
I have the cassette in the console down there and that style radio you have that i pulled out. i can plug it back up and test whatever you need tested.

pm me or post back in here ill see what i can do for you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have access to or know anyone that might have an oscilloscope?

It plots electrical signals over time. Probing the data line between the two while inserting a tape would show what sort of signal is used to switch the radio over to aux mode.

I have a scope but no tape deck and funds are limited right now as far as purchasing one online.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,795 Posts
If your project doesn't work out and you want to sell that radio, send me a pm. The cd player quit in the one in my '02.

·
Ridin' on Twankies
3,619 Posts
If your project doesn't work out and you want to sell that radio, send me a pm. The cd player quit in the one in my '02.
your 2002 has a double din or it should...

BUT if you want a 1.5 din from a 98-2000, pm me. ill let it go cheap. it works perfect :cool:

and Tw34kd - no, All i have is a DMM. i do mainly all my tuning with it, id like to get a oscope, but dont really have the money for all that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts