S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mr. Clean
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put it off as long as I can and I guess I need to go ahead and bite the bullit. I've got a decent size leak in one of my A/C hoses so the hose assembly will need to be replaced. Which means I'll have to completly evacuate the system. I've never really messed with the HVAC system on the truck so I've got a couple questions.

Is this a pretty simple cut and paste job to do?
Can I just have a certified shop refill the R12 without having to convert to R134?
Anyone have a ballpark on how much a complete R12 refill would cost?

Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
376 Posts
You do not have to refill with R-12, it will be expensive. If you change to R-134a, you will save a lot of cash and be just as happy. Using R-134a you only use 85% of the R-12 quantity. Simple to do. Just buy the screw on adapters and attatch to the existing threaded connections. You do not need to change anything else even though many will try to convince you that you must. I work on semi trucks and we do this very often with excellant results.

·
Mr. Clean
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, sweet. Thanks. One of my concerns though is that R134 doesn;t get as cold as R12. I've read a couple posts and everyone seems to say that R134 just doesn't get as cool.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Use freeze12 or one of the other drop in replacement refrigerants. Yes for 134a to properly work, you should change the orfice, it will still work without changing it, but why do you think everybody complains it doesn't get cold enough? Because they didn't change it. You have to evac to the system with a vacuum pump before you charge it to remove all the air and moisture. Don't waste your money on R12, it's not worth the cost.

·
Mr. Clean
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, cool, I'll do that. What about the hose replacement...easy?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts